PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
For scraping out your pipe you don't want to use a sharp knife with a sharp point. You risk damaging the pipe. This is one of those rare cases where something cheap and low quality can work better than expensive and high quality. I've showed this before, but for those who missed it this is an old folder from the 70s, that I bought years ago for almost nothing. I've dulled the edge so as not to nick the inside of the bowl and create a spot for a burnout to start. And I rounded the tip so I can dig at the bottom of the bowl without worrying about damage. It has served me well for decades. One of these days I think I'll have to clean it.... puffy

s-l1600.jpg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Nothing fancy but Ive my Grandfathers Old pocket knife and an EDC left by the previous owners of my house. I found it while clearing out the garage. Both take an edge fast. I just touched them up this morning. I tened to use the EDC for plugs. The larger size helps.

k.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I tened to use the EDC for plugs. The larger size helps.
For chopping/cube cutting little flakes I’ll use any sharp knife in reach, and keep a razor blade with my prep stuff.
The large nakiri/cleaver I had my buddy make is for sizing full flakes like GH&Co bulk for jars, and large plugs like theirs-having a straight blade with a slightly rounded edge tip, along with full clearance of my knuckles to cutting surface was important to me to manage large hard blocks (or logs) in the future.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The tip of my old Benchmade 761 broke off (no clue how- I don't use my knives as pry bars) so I sent it in for warranty replacement. Hopefully they still have some blades for the model, it's been discontinued for a few years now.
In the meantime, and because I prefer to NOT carry a fixed blade while at work, I figured I needed a new pocket knife.

Folders were my main hobby before I started smoking a pipe. It's been years since I seriously browsed some of the big knife retailers online. Some things are the same, while others have changed drastically.

I decided on the Suprlativ Piranha. I love "Persian", upswept blade shapes - and the M4 steel is a terrific carbon steel that falls just below the required chromium level to be classified as stainless. Otherwise, the scales are titanium & micarta, with bronze washers at the pivot.

The feature that REALLY sold me was the unique opening/locking system. Typically I prefer framelocks, and will consider a good liner lock.
This knife utilizes neither. Instead, it has rare earth magnets inset at the rear end. It's taken some getting used to, but I feel comfortable and reasonably confident with it now.
(Apologies for the spiel).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg