Any Guesses as to What this Mystery Object Might Be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I think the reverse would might be true as I recall the Romans thought smaller dongs were better.
Think that was only in relation to the huge marble statues of famous figures like Caesar etc. Sculptors back then had to downsize 'the old chap' so as to not frighten the little old ladies & to stop them from keeling over in shock when they were walking around town, doing their shopping.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Title edited to l/c some words.

All of the found ones are less than 3" tall!

This Roman artefact is apparently one of 33 found in Britain over the years and its purpose has mystified the experts......but they never asked the experts on this Forum so guys, what do you suppose this might be used for?

View attachment 306631

I initially thought it might be a rattle for a baby but dismissed that idea as I think it's made of bronze so perhaps too heavy so my guess would be something to do with a game of chance as the Romans were known for their love of gambling. I think the different sized holes (I count at least 3) support that theory.

Here's the full story....

Jay.
Looks familiar.toy.JPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@Hillcrest : I thought the Greeks invented 'gayness'. Wasn't it one of their philosopher chaps who said a woman was for procreation, a boy was for sex and a goat was for ecstasy or something along those lines. I seem to remember that from my Classics class many years ago at a minor English boarding school. I have walked past the Museum of Sex in NYC but I have never visited since it looked like something from a Austin Powers film.
This sounds like how history would be interpreted at an English Boarding School.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that know no one here knew what it as, I mean sure actual experts have no idea, but i thought SOMEONE here would know. So much disappointment.
Wow Siri speech to text for the loss but it did get the capitals right, just a lot of the words wrong. So much for trusting technology.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Alternative theory ... Do any of them say Titleist ? They look like they might have good loft and low rolling potential ... that might explain why they are found in strange unexpected places ... :rolleyes:

1714432734020.png

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
@simong may have been correct but perhaps not in specific application. It may have been a hand held calculator/measuring device with each side representing a different system of measurement in the Ancient knowledge of the world, ie: land, sea, stars, volume, geometry, astronomy, etc in the different mathematical equivalents of the time, ie: Egyptian, Summerian, Gaullic, British/Celtic, Germanic, Persian etc.

Here's an interesting article on a theory of its potential use by Celtic peoples that will be of interest to the mathemeticians, photographers, engineers, builders, etc. :

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
@simong may have been correct but perhaps not in specific application. It may have been a hand held calculator/measuring device with each side representing a different system of measurement in the Ancient knowledge of the world, ie: land, sea, stars, volume, geometry, astronomy, etc in the different mathematical equivalents of the time, ie: Egyptian, Summerian, Gaullic, British/Celtic, Germanic, Persian etc.

Here's an interesting article on a theory of its potential use by Celtic peoples that will be of interest to the mathemeticians, photographers, engineers, builders, etc. :

What is this nonsense? Isn’t this a dick joke thread?