Any Guesses as to What this Mystery Object Might Be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Title edited to l/c some words.

All of the found ones are less than 3" tall!

This Roman artefact is apparently one of 33 found in Britain over the years and its purpose has mystified the experts......but they never asked the experts on this Forum so guys, what do you suppose this might be used for?

1 mystery.jpg

I initially thought it might be a rattle for a baby but dismissed that idea as I think it's made of bronze so perhaps too heavy so my guess would be something to do with a game of chance as the Romans were known for their love of gambling. I think the different sized holes (I count at least 3) support that theory.

Here's the full story....

Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Something disgusting probably, knowing the Romans.

My guess is it’s an ancient Roman ‘cock gauge’ heralded by biggus diccus, commander of the pretorian guard. New recruits had to line up & present their todger to said apparatus, if the size fits they were in the pretorian guard, smaller appendages to lower divisions & the smallest of all were probably shipped off to serve as eunuchs.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Hillcrest : Pity. The sex toy angle seemed quite promising from an 'amusing commentary' perspective! I mean knowing the Romans were a little on the pervy side I would assume it had something to do with bottom sex!

Reactions: JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
@Hillcrest : Pity. The sex toy angle seemed quite promising from an 'amusing commentary' perspective! I mean knowing the Romans were a little on the pervy side I would assume it had something to do with bottom sex!
Sorry. I'm not a good historian but I thought that was the Spartans (?). I think you would be better entertained studying the ancient Eqyptians and Mesopotamians. Try the Museum of Sex in New York City for actual ancient artifacts.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Something disgusting probably, knowing the Romans.

My guess is it’s an ancient Roman ‘cock gauge’ heralded by biggus diccus, commander of the pretorian guard. New recruits had to line up & present their todger to said apparatus, if the size fits they were in the pretorian guard, smaller appendages to lower divisions & the smallest of all were probably shipped off to serve as eunuchs.
I think the reverse would might be true as I recall the Romans thought smaller dongs were better.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Hillcrest : I thought the Greeks invented 'gayness'. Wasn't it one of their philosopher chaps who said a woman was for procreation, a boy was for sex and a goat was for ecstasy or something along those lines. I seem to remember that from my Classics class many years ago at a minor English boarding school. I have walked past the Museum of Sex in NYC but I have never visited since it looked like something from a Austin Powers film.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@Hillcrest : I thought the Greeks invented 'gayness'. Wasn't it one of their philosopher chaps who said a woman was for procreation, a boy was for sex and a goat was for ecstasy or something along those lines. I seem to remember that from my Classics class many years ago at a minor English boarding school. I have walked past the Museum of Sex in NYC but I have never visited since it looked like something from a Austin Powers film.
What about Gerbils?

• Haha
Reactions: condorlover1

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I will have to defer to your expertise as I have never indulged in a Classics class at a minor English boarding school. ;) :ROFLMAO: