PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Might Stick Around
Used to smoke a pipe in the 70s at university. Even had couple of Petersons. Animal House and all that. Now I'm retired, and have returned to the fold. Have a small collection, including a collection of McQueen Churchwardens I bought discontinued and at a bargain price, a few of their new miniatures (needed in Canada because of vicious tobbaco prices (ie 85 bucks for 2 oz!!) a Savinelli, a P-Lip Peterson, a couple of KAF pear jobs, and a fistful of curiosities from Amazon. Curiosity is part of my makeup.

Am an ex-professional violinist, have been resident composer of three professional orchestras, concertmaster of four, conductor of one, associate conductor of two, and founder of the Northern Orchestra, at one time the premier amateur orchestra in the BC North. That was before covid. Now I'm retired from teaching and everything else. That's it. Looking forward to learning and talking about pipes. And even the occasional cigar lol!

Last edited:

gord

Might Stick Around
Welcome from Durham in the UK. I hope you still play its good for the soul
No, once I leave something, it's pretty much done. Took over 50 years to return to the pipe! Sometimes memories are better than the real thing.

The great violinist Nathan Milstein was the first violinist to record the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, in the 40's, on multiple 78rpm recordings. He repeated the feat in 1972 at age 72, in a recording that sounded virtually identical (we don't change much once it's "grooved" into us interpretively.) He said he'd never do that again . . . . he'd not be capable. I get that, thoroughly. Quothe the Raven, "Nevermore."

Last edited:

gord

Might Stick Around
Welcome! You are much more cultured than myself (and most of this lot in the forum from what I can tell). Hell, I listen to black metal! Some is symphonic such as Dummu Borghir, but I am sure this music would just injure your ears. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 307355
Oh, not so much cultured as my resume might appear . . . I took a job in Prince George (Concertmaster of the Symphony there . . . it's actually pretty decent) not for artistic reasons, but because I hunt and fish. Passionateiy. Was at a crossroads and didn't want to spend the rest of my life in Toronto or some other place like that. Spend most of my spare time at the PG Rod and Gun Club now, where I'm Director of Small Bore. Get a chance there to teach the kids, too!

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Greetings! I was born in Prince George! I purchased a fine pipe back there at the Pine Centre Mall in 2008 - I don’t recall if it was at a Sheffield and Sons or not, but a small store like that. It was a Stanwell black bamboo shaft billiard. Lovely pipe. I wonder if that store is still there?