PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
He is that, bless him! 👍
We might not have the best cricketers anymore but we certainly have the best commentators..... always have had! Johnners, Blowers, Aggers etc. Other sports were the same, maclaren (union) waring (league) motson etc. Either all died off or been replaced by the current woke push of imposing female commentators onto every televised sport. Harrumph!

I digress. Here's some more photos of Fryers Smokynge Mixture.
View attachment 305181View attachment 305182
And here's one of the pubs we visited. A charming little watering hole, unchanged since Tudor times.
View attachment 305185View attachment 305186
Amazing looking tobacco and I agree with you about the commentators. Watching 'whispering' Ted Lowe commentate on the World Snooker Championship always made it extra special. Same thing goes for Sid Waddell and the darts and John Motson and the football. None of the modern commentators even come close to the 3 people I mentioned.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Only thing I would say is whatever leaf STG feels they need to use for production in a given year would be the case whether or not the tin sticker says Dunhill or Peterson.
I believe there's a little more to it than that. Manufacturers, in the ideal, have little to do with anything but that specific manufacturing part.

Take GLP vs C&D for example. Smoke any GLP blend with Dark Fired Kentucky in it and when you load your pipe, you'll have a thin, dark residue left on your fingers from the soot. That's because Mr. Pease prefers unadulterated leaves, whereas even Jeremy Reeves doesn't appear to be of the same mind. (It was Jeremy who answered that question for me.)

Ultimately, C&D shifts their production style to accommodate the needs of the blender. The same is true of HU and DTM, for instance. Dockworker wouldn't be shit without its leaves imported from Africa, but so long as that aspect remains the same, the tobacco shouldn't tremendously change.

With the Dunhill=>Peterson transition, I believe it's the company's change which contributes to the tobaccos being different. If HU's Dockworker recipe was bought by another brand, then I'd know to expect a new product.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Roughly 2014/2016 vs 2022. Lung enough to asking for some coloration but not quite to this level.
Cool, it's enough time though, 6/8 years. I'm still err'ing on age being the difference you're tasting but we honestly can't know if there is change in the leaf. Maybe 22' was shit year for perique, drought who knows.

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Cool, it's enough time though, 6/8 years. I'm still err'ing on age being the difference you're tasting but we honestly can't know if there is change in the leaf. Maybe 22' was shit year for perique, drought who knows.
There's also what Jeremy talks about... different leaves enter into the perique barrel unless otherwise specified. C&D certifies 100% St James Perique leaves enter their fermentation barrels, but that seemingly isn't true of other brands and makes. I wouldn't be surprised if that metric didn't alter as well.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
There's also what Jeremy talks about... different leaves enter into the perique barrel unless otherwise specified. C&D certifies 100% St James Perique leaves enter their fermentation barrels, but that seemingly isn't true of other brands and makes. I wouldn't be surprised if that metric didn't alter as well.
There is also a period of time there when St James Perique was almost lost to us and was salvaged by C&D I think!? I wonder if that is fitting with the timeline and maybe the variation you're seeing/tasting. I need to dig that article up and re-read it as it was quite insightful.

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
There is also a period of time there when St James Perique was almost lost to us and was salvaged by C&D I think!? I wonder if that is fitting with the timeline and maybe the variation you're seeing/tasting. I need to dig that article up and re-read it as it was quite insightful.
The most recent occurrence I'm familiar with was an interview not so long ago that began with an ask the blender. I can't say for sure when it was, but I know it's from the last few months.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
The most recent occurrence I'm familiar with was an interview not so long ago that began with an ask the blender. I can't say for sure when it was, but I know it's from the last few months.
Here it is. Seems like a lot of natural variation year to year.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Has the Perique taken over? A neighbor gave me a 1/4 jar from around 2016 and the Virginias had retired to the background, Perique center stage. It was pretty interesting, finished it last Christmas.
I'd say thats pretty spot on, was more earthy/peppery for me with a little sweetness in the back. Still haven't smoked it all.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
IMG_0734.jpegThis tin decided for me to be the next one opened. I was just looking through my drawer of tins and noticed that it was popped. Looking at the inside of the lid, I was worried that the contents would be dried out, but I think it’s still good (probably the perfect hydration, but I’ll be smoking soon to determine that!)

This is a tin from Nov 2012, but was sent to me by @rmbittner early 2023.

IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0736.jpegIMG_0737.jpegIMG_0738.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
2013 1792 Dark Kendal Flake from a friend across the pond.IMG_0389.jpegIMG_0390.jpegIMG_0391.jpeg
Best part is, after being held up at USPS after Customs, the pipe and tin showed up, only to be followed by a form letter a couple of days later saying my pkg could be confiscated and destroyed and if I continue buying and shipping contraband I could face criminal and civil charges for violating the PACT act😆
I should’ve taken a picture to share before sh*tcanning the letter.