Sacre Bleu: French Baker Makes Croissants Sans Butter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Like a Cornish pasty without the beef, an apple pie without the cream, a pizza without the mozzarella, somethings just shouldn't be messed with but a certain French baker wants to buck the trend and flog croissants that he made without butter :oops:.

Having sat outside a café in Paris in the 80's enjoying France's famous delicious pastry I can only wonder what these concoctions might taste like, not at all like the real thing I'd guess.

And it's not just croissants that are missing that vital bovine component, all his output is made with some concoction of vegetable oils :rolleyes:.

Methinks there will be a revolution......again ;)

Jay.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
So you're posh then eh?

It's lowly Asda for me :(

Jay.
Hardly, I live in a skip Jay.
Not quite true but fair to say 'I'm in the gutter but looking up at the stars!'
Asda's the other side of town for me, whilst Marks's is only a 2 minute walk. I find more bargains in Marks's than anywhere else! Get there around elevenses and they start putting the discount 'yellow labels' on. 👍
It's swings and roundabouts though, their croissants are never on offer. 😕

Reactions: mawnansmiff

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
If it tastes good then I'll have it provided the ingredients don't need to go through absurd levels of processing to be made to resemble something they're not (in this case butter).

Generally my principle is keeping it simple and avoiding things that need complicated processing that my grandma couldn't go herself if she needed to.

Case in point: sunflower vs olive oil. For sunflower oil the seeds need to be heated to mobilise the oil, but due to how inefficient this is (and bad for taste), oil is extracted with solvents. Olive oil is literally as simple as crushing olives and separating the oil from water and solids by centrifugation, in the deep past (think Bible times) olive oil was simply skimmed off the top of crushed olives.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I hate to tell you all this, buy after 40" years in the food / pastry industry the substitution of butter to "vegetable oils" and the like has been going on for a long time.

Thanks all those that years ago told us that butter was "bad fat". Then Thank those that told us trans fats are bad. Oh wait a minute..... there is good trans fat and bad trans fat...... wait ... what?? Butter is now a good fat?

Of course it is ... it always was.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Olive oil is literally as simple as crushing olives and separating the oil from water and solids by centrifugation
Funny you should say that, only 2 days ago I watched something on TV that explained to process of extracting oil from olives in Italy.

It was all rather complicated involving the olives being pickled in brine for a period before they could be pressed else the oil would be too bitter to consume.

I never knew that.

Jay.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It was all rather complicated involving the olives being pickled in brine for a period before they could be pressed else the oil would be too bitter to consume.

I never knew that.

Jay.
That's odd, I never heard about that either. What I saw in a small but commercial-size olive mill in Greece was the olives being passed from a few water baths to clean them, then crushed, then the paste pressed, then the oil being separated out by two steps of continuous centrifugation and put into 17L cans, no brining of any sort. The smell was divine, in the end we bought a can too :)

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I believe the process for creating olive oil depends on the type of olives plus the stage of ripeness plus what the intended end product is intended to become. Another factor, so I am lead to understand is, how fast the picked olives get processed. The faster they go from picked to processing the better. Any duration of "storage" lessens the end quality.

One of my "bucket list" things to do is visit an olive oil orchard and processing facility, in Italy. Maybe this year????