Sacre Bleu: French Baker Makes Croissants Sans Butter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I hate biscuits without palm oil; if you write on the package "without palm oil" you lose a customer with me.

Reactions: JOHN72

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
in what I'm sure he said was brine.
Anything is possible, there will be many ways to make olive oil. For example, the one from northern Italy is light, transparent and tastes of nothing. I hate it, maybe they are the ones who pickle the olives (lol).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well some of the nicest olives I ever tasted were at a European food market in nearby Falmouth some years ago where a family of Greeks had set up a stall.

They were big and fat, full of flavour and I recall them being somewhat salty but not unpleasantly so.

They also had the nicest sun dried tomatoes I ever tasted!

Jay.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well some of the nicest olives I ever tasted were at a European food market in nearby Falmouth some years ago where a family of Greeks had set up a stall.

They were big and fat, full of flavour and I recall them being somewhat salty but not unpleasantly so.

Jay.
I've a weird love/hate relationship: I love the olive tree, makes me feel good to see them, from young to old, with their silvery leaves and gnarly appearance. I also can't live without olive oil. At the same time I despise eating olives in most of the ways Greeks prepare them. I tolerate lightly brined but prefer them the way I made them: with 15-20 times changing of the brine to get rid of the bitterness - my dad would call that tasteless. I don't do olives in salad or as a snack, on pizza, in sandwiches...I think it's a waste of this magnificent fruit that gives us olive oil ;)

There's another preparation which includes hitting the olives with a brick and stuffing them in a clay pot, layered with loads of salt, no brining or anything so all the bitterness stays and is even magnified by the dehydration. Salt crusts on them after a long time. It's at "that'll put hairs on your chest" levels of vile.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Try it! With or without cream.
I initially thought you jested but thinking about it, apple goes well with cheese. I used to include sliced apple with a ploughman's platter.

As for the pronunciation of croissant in California I just headed to the OED where they usually have American as well as English pronunciation of words.....alas only British English in this instance so my fancy has not been tickled on this occasion.

BRITISH ENGLISH​

/ˈkwasɒ̃/
Listen to pronunciation

Jay.

Reactions: kcghost

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

The olives or the family?

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I initially thought you jested but thinking about it, apple goes well with cheese. I used to include sliced apple with a ploughman's platter.

As for the pronunciation of croissant in California I just headed to the OED where they usually have American as well as English pronunciation of words.....alas only British English in this instance so my fancy has not been tickled on this occasion.

BRITISH ENGLISH​

/ˈkwasɒ̃/
It's similar to "qua- sant" with all the stress on the second syllable.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
All I saw was "vegan" in the link preview and stopped reading, didn't even click it. All my questions were answered in the first half dozen words of the preview.