PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The Woodstock shape. This is often confused with the Zulu, but is different.

"This surname-turned-given name ultimately stemmed from a place in England that gave the moniker its meaning of “wooden fence.”"

I don't know why or when the shape was given the name, but I do know it has nothing to do with the hippie-fest in 1969, because I bought a Castello of that shape in 1963 (still have and smoke it) and it was called that back then. Also, my 1962 copy of WEBER'S GUIDE TO PIPES shows the shape named Woodstock in it's shape chart (page 49). puffy

zulu34.jpg
WOODSTOCK

zulu36.jpg
ZULU

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
England has had a profound effect on the world of pipe names. Thes Danes have a large number as well with whale, the snail, the nautilus, the Rameses, the elephants foot, and several others.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The Woodstock shape. This is often confused with the Zulu, but is different.

"This surname-turned-given name ultimately stemmed from a place in England that gave the moniker its meaning of “wooden fence.”"

I don't know why or when the shape was given the name, but I do know it has nothing to do with the hippie-fest in 1969, because I bought a Castello of that shape in 1963 (still have and smoke it) and it was called that back then. Also, my 1962 copy of WEBER'S GUIDE TO PIPES shows the shape named Woodstock in it's shape chart (page 49). puffy

View attachment 308273
WOODSTOCK

View attachment 308274
ZULU
And is the Yacht/Yachtsman a third shape or just another name for the Zulu or Woodstock?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The Lovat was named after Lord Lovat, the 8th Duke of Cheshierfieldshireton. It was previously called the White Chappell but after Jack The Ripper, sales declined. It's said that Lord Lovat prefered the shape due to its shorter length, he could more easily manage one while buggering house maids.
And I still don't know how to pronounce Lovat. Probably Raymond Luxury Yacht or something like that.

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG