PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Hey, there's an upside. We might lose a few satellites, have a few earthquakes, get a few fingers near nuclear buttons, but CMEs block out cosmic rays from deep space - it's not all bad!

Reactions: newbroom

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I viewed the clip, but am not enlightened. Should I hide under my bed? Is it too late?

Are some parts of the world apt to get more of the CME's than others?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I viewed the clip, but am not enlightened. Should I hide under my bed? Is it too late?

Man, I'm already having issues with my internet still, since last month. I need no more disruptions!
Didn't you two get the memo? Kevin has ordered all Mods to remain in their basement until further notice. We'll let you know when it's ok to come out.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK

Not a lot you can do except take a bit of cash out, buy an extra 4-pack of baked beans and sit back with a choice tobacco in a favorite pipe.

Yes, if they can predict the times of impacts, they can estimate where in the world. Sadly, they can be up to 24 hours out on that, so we tend to find out after the fact.

What we don't want Carrington Event - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sounds like some heavy withdrawals (myself included) are in the cards if PipesMagazine.com is affected by this.
For a second there I thought you were going to say something about bank withdrawals. If the grid ever really goes down there won't be any of those happening.

Reactions: Servant King

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For a second there I thought you were going to say something about bank withdrawals. If the grid ever really goes down there won't be any of those happening.
Are you sure the better banks don't have internal software to run (at least) ATM's that can be used if the internet grid goes down. If the electric grid goes down- all bets are off, though some banks could revert to the old way of withdrawing

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It's a moot point anyway--banks ain't gonna have the kind of trade medium people will want at that point.

On the plus side, it'd pretty much put the kibosh on the whole Bitcoin conversation. Not to mention a plethora of other related topics! So there's that.

As George Carlin once said, "I always have something uplifting to offer, along with all the gloomy shit." 😎

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Are you sure the better banks don't have internal software to run (at least) ATM's that can be used if the internet grid goes down. If the electric grid goes down- all bets are off, though some banks could revert to the old way of withdrawing
Yeah, I was referring to the entire electric grid, not just the net.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
The plot thickens. Now 6 solar flares and CMEs, the last was the biggest. At the same time, the Russians have begun a humongous offensive in Ukraine - I wonder if the electromagnetic storms will scupper it? Popcorn at the ready.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Rather than worry about power grids, I am hoping for some wonderful Aurora Borealis.
It seems to be a certainty. Last year, there were several auroras (plus 2 big ones this year so far) and when the biggest happened, a power company in Alberta measured a neutral-ground current of 117A. This present situation could get very very interesting.

And we're off....

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's only a matter of time.

Maybe next week, maybe not for a thousand years, but when it does it will fry every integrated circuit on planet Earth that's not deep underground or in a lead bunker.

Meaning cars won't run, trucks won't run, airplanes won't fly, phones won't work, and on and on... no process, system, tool, or device will operate. They'll all be bricked.

What will happen then? Humans will human.

In this case, they'll re-form into tribes---manpower and analog tools will rule---and the Great Reset Button will be pushed. Probably around 90% of the human population will be gone after a year.

Shit will sort itself out over decades, of course, and some new arrangement of Human Affairs will emerge.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
It's only a matter of time.

Maybe next week, maybe not for a thousand years, but when it does it will fry every integrated circuit on planet Earth that's not deep underground or in a lead bunker.

Meaning cars won't run, trucks won't run, airplanes won't fly, phones won't work, and on and on... no process, system, tool, or device will operate. They'll all be bricked.

What will happen then? Humans will human.

In this case, they'll re-form into tribes---manpower and analog tools will rule---and the Great Reset Button will be pushed. Probably around 90% of the human population will be gone after a year.

Shit will sort itself out over decades, of course, and some new arrangement of Human Affairs will emerge.

Well that's it. I do believe that humanity last went through this cycle 12,000 years ago; we probably had more advanced tech before that one wiped the slate. It makes little sense to imagine that it was all Stone Age before the Stone Age, back to the beginning of mankind.