PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I noticed a slightly off flavor when I drew on a new unpacked pipe. I then smoked a bowl in the new briar pipe and noticed a really strong off flavor, exactly like the smell and flavor of a corked wine.

I took the stem off and smelled the shank end, and sure enough it reeked of that corked wine aroma. If you’ve never had corked wine it is an unmistakable smell, kind of like moldy old wood or cardboard. It was not the tobacco. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Don't know for sure but it sounds like the maker may be using wine as some kind of briar curing treatment. Above advice sounds good to me. Good luck.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
"Corked or corky" wine is a result of TCA or TBA contamination when chlorinated compounds are used in the sterilisation of corks or oak staffs/barrels. This was common practice in the 2000s.

I have never heard of it occurring in briar, but it is possible if the briar has been treated with a chlorinated compound.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've tasted lots of briar in break in, ranging from slightly corky to a little sharp/astringent to downright spicy, but I can't say any of it ever tasted "off" in any way, save for pipes that had stain in the bowl or the airway.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would think the 'corky' flavour just has negative associations for you from the wine perspective...

You can stubbornly smoke through it, or try any of the deep clean methods so you don't have to.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I'd say give it a few more smokes. My guess is it's some excess bowl coating burning off.
I've tasted lots of briar in break in, ranging from slightly corky to a little sharp/astringent to downright spicy, but I can't say any of it ever tasted "off" in any way, save for pipes that had stain in the bowl or the airway.
My local tobacconist said it was most likely stain/finish in the airway, I appreciate your reply. The strong flavor stayed in my mouth for a good half hour, bourbon couldn’t kill the aftertaste.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
"Corked or corky" wine is a result of TCA or TBA contamination when chlorinated compounds are used in the sterilisation of corks or oak staffs/barrels. This was common practice in the 2000s.

I have never heard of it occurring in briar, but it is possible if the briar has been treated with a chlorinated compound.
I was curious if briar could be contaminated with TCA. I have no idea.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some ("super tasters") are super sensitive to TCA/TBAs ?

Thankfully I'm not in that category and can happily drink (some) wines that are rejected out of hand by some in my wine group. :)

A fault, yes, but an acceptable fault, in some cases.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
My Rossi pipes had a really nasty tasting bowl coating. I scrubbed it out as best I could and that helped. You could always try fine sandpaper to take it down to bare wood in the bowl.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Some years ago I purchased an amazing sandblasted Charatan ( fifties ) from the venerable Ken Barnes .
It was a topic of interest on the forums. Near to unsmoked and it had , still has, a sort of fresh, nutty taste.
I wipe out my pipes after each smoke and actually I like that taste of briar a lot. A similar - , but less distinct, was appreciated in some of my new Castellos.