PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I don’t know if this has been tried before or if a good idea but I was once a beginner and overwhelmed regarding what tobaccos I would enjoy. I did get some free samples from some great people on this site and I don’t mind sharing forward. However over the past 2+ years I have purchased many blends, been gifted unopened blends from family and friends, and probably purchased more 1 ounce samples than I should have (TAD). I probably have $500 invested and another $250 gifted.

My idea is a way to help others save money while also recovering some of my costs to use specifically for my personal preferences. I am thinking about offering a sample kit containing 100+ blends for $50. I have about 25 Aromatics, 25 Latakia / English, 25 Burley Mixes, 25 Virginias. and 10 Darker G&H blends. About 1/3 are still unopened with all others in sealed mason jars. Everything is 2019 or later.

My idea is provide .25 (1/4) ounce or enough for 2-3 medium sized bowls per sample. I won’t cherry pick anything but provide a sample of every blend I have from Captain Black to Haunted Bookshop to Plum Pudding to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

Thoughts?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Well, that's one way to go...

Or, you could find newbies on here, have a big heart and just send them some samples or tins, because that's what we do, like I did for you ...

I guess the question is, do you want to help out newbies, or do you want to make some money.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was more than happy to pay fair prices for smaller variety samples that helped me out - in fact is still helping me out because I grabbed so many. Unless you're cheating on your own karma because you got freebies, I see no reason why newer or less experienced individuals wouldn't love this.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Indeed. This is a gift for the beginner. I may do the same as I have like 80 jars and a couple hundred tins. Ill never smoke it all and Im done buying (i think 🤔). It’s just im lazy and dont really wanna measure out all the samples at this time. 😂

Why not just throw a few pinches in a few baggies, find a few newbies and make their day?

Remember when I offered to send you a pipe stand when you started out, but you already had one? Well @Old_Newby got it instead. Along with about $200 in well aged tins and some samples of tobacco blends to smoke.

There is a thing on this forum that a lot of us are proud of. And that's helping out the new guys. Nobody asks us to. That's just how we role on this forum. Giving samples to newbies goes way back on here. Selling samples to newbies is, well, now a new thing I guess.

Hey all of us invested more than we should have when we started out, we all tried out a ton of stuff. We all had a ton of stuff left over, and a lot of us gave a ton of stuff away to the new folks, hoping they would do the same in the future, and so on. It would never dawn on me to offer to sell samples to new people when I was sitting on way more than I could smoke after being gifted so much or bought so many blends I didn't care for.

Sorry for the vent

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Well, that's one way to go...

Or, you could find newbies on here, have a big heart and just send them some samples or tins, because that's what we do, like I did for you ...

I guess the question is, do you want to help out newbies, or do you want to make some money.
I probably will do both. I have enough to gift some samples to some beginners and plan to do so. I am not seeking profit as .50 cents for 1/4 ounce is like $4 for some $12 tins. I hope to save some beginners a lot of money instead of them buying all of these for full price only to realize they only like a subset. For me I guess I would get a little money back to invest in my favorites.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think spreading the "wealth" is always a good thing, i tend to go over board in my newbie bombs as a few people have been hospitalized, for me it's the art of giving, can never have too much karma for the afterlife! (i've been watching too many Asian flicks ... lol)

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Sounds like this may be coming across as a bad idea to sell samples. I may just gift forward some blends as others did for me..

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I don't see why you Shouldn't be able to sell samples to recoup some of your investment, And benefit new people to be able to try out different tobacco's at an inexpensive cost.

Reactions: Old_Newby
Why not just throw a few pinches in a few baggies, find a few newbies and make their day?

Remember when I offered to send you a pipe stand when you started out, but you already had one? Well @Old_Newby got it instead. Along with about $200 in well aged tins and some samples of tobacco blends to smoke.

There is a thing on this forum that a lot of us are proud of. And that's helping out the new guys. Nobody asks us to. That's just how we role on this forum. Giving samples to newbies goes way back on here. Selling samples to newbies is, well, now a new thing I guess.

Hey all of us invested more than we should have when we started out, we all tried out a ton of stuff. We all had a ton of stuff left over, and a lot of us gave a ton of stuff away to the new folks, hoping they would do the same in the future, and so on. It would never dawn on me to offer to sell samples to new people when I was sitting on way more than I could smoke after being gifted so much or bought so many blends I didn't care for.

Sorry for the vent

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch.
OK - sorry if i offended sensibilities @monty55 - I consider you a fine piper. But I would point this out. I'm sure you didn't pay $250 for those tins you listed recently. And for the record, I do not have any problem at all with you trying to make a buck on aged tobacco. The market is the market - I believe in capitalism. Now Maybe my comparison is an apple and an orange but I sort of think it closer to a macintosh vs granny smith. So if you can make a buck why can't someone else??? - Peace: FS: Special Offering - 10 Year Aged - Escudo Navy De Luxe (5-22-23) :: Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/fs-special-offering-10-year-aged-escudo-navy-de-luxe-5-22-23.98575/#post-36822554
monty55[/USER]

Lifer​

Here is a special offering of perfectly aged Escudo Navy De Luxe factory sealed sleeve of five 50g tins from 2013. Perfectly aged in a climate-controlled cellar for 10 years.
CONUS only, PayPal only.
5 tin factory sleeve 10yr aged Escudo Navy De Luxe- $250.00
Shipping - $10.00

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there is value in shopping for a few blends at a time and learning them as you go along, and learning what the constituent tobaccos are, and learning the ropes on buying bulk, pouches, tins, etc.

But this isn't a bad idea for some people who want a lot of blends to try at once. I recommend they look the blends up as they go and learn what they are smoking.

Reactions: Reggie and B.Fee

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
OK - sorry if i offended sensibilities @monty55 - I consider you a fine piper. But I would point this out. I'm sure you didn't pay $250 for those tins you listed recently. And for the record, I do not have any problem at all with you trying to make a buck on aged tobacco. The market is the market - I believe in capitalism. Now Maybe my comparison is an apple and an orange but I sort of think it closer to a macintosh vs granny smith. So if you can make a buck why can't someone else??? - Peace: FS: Special Offering - 10 Year Aged - Escudo Navy De Luxe (5-22-23) :: Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/fs-special-offering-10-year-aged-escudo-navy-de-luxe-5-22-23.98575/#post-36822554
monty55[/USER]

Lifer​

Here is a special offering of perfectly aged Escudo Navy De Luxe factory sealed sleeve of five 50g tins from 2013. Perfectly aged in a climate-controlled cellar for 10 years.
CONUS only, PayPal only.
5 tin factory sleeve 10yr aged Escudo Navy De Luxe- $250.00
Shipping - $10.00

I understand what your saying. I think maybe I was misunderstood.

Of course, everyone has that right, and should sell their tinned tobacco if they so wish, to whomever they wish and for whatever they can.

Buying and selling tinned tobacco is not, or was not my issue.

Admittedly, most of the tobacco I gifted to old_newbie was in unopened tin form. There were only a few samples as I recall. But, I could have sold those aged tins on this same forum for a nice profit, as you pointed out, but I chose to gift them to a newbie instead. And if he wants to sell those tins, that's his business, they belong to him.

It just seemed weird to sell "samples" when so many of us give out "samples" willingly to anyone who asks or shows an interest.

When I started on here a lot of people sent me samples, and I thought that was really cool. So I kind of try do the same thing, but sometimes get carried away and send tins instead lol. That's my problem tho.

But like I said, I think maybe I'm getting out of touch. So, most of what I say can usually just be ignored lol.

Peace!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
To @Old_Newby and @OSOBUCO

Apologies to you both.

Old_Newby, it's obviously a fine idea, you should run with it.

OSOBUCO, you know I love you brother...

Having a rough time as of late. That's why I'm selling tins from my cellar, just to pay my damn bills. Pisses me off.

Anyway, it's a great idea, and I hope it helps the newbies and gives you some extra to buy what you want.

Peace