Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Your thread prompted me to search my cellar, and lo and behold, I found a bag of Penzance that I purchased circa 2012 from Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign, Illinois. Mine, too, has developed a lovely bloom, and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintance with this tobacco this weekend.

I recall stopping by Jon's after work, and before dinner, and being pleasantly surprised that they had Penzance in stock (at the time it was difficult to find). I loaded up my pipe, and enjoyed a bowl, although toward the end I recall that the room began to spin, seeing as how my stomach was empty. One of the staff took pity on me, and gave me a cup of hot, black coffee, which helped.

What a tobacco, and what a Shop!

Last edited:

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
My accidentally acquired on a charity auction tin of Penzance is so old that all the markings on the back are almost gone. I imagine it's from the early 2k's. The tobacco looks rather similar: plenty of plume. Tastes good.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Your thread prompted me to search my cellar, and lo and behold, I found a bag of Penzance that I purchased circa 2012 from Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign, Illinois. Mine, too, has developed a lovely bloom, and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintance with this tobacco this weekend.

I recall stopping by Jon's after work, and before dinner, and being pleasantly surprised that they had Penzance in stock (at the time it was difficult to find). I loaded up my pipe, and enjoyed a bowl, although toward the end I recall that the room began to spin, seeing as how my stomach was empty. One of the staff took pity on me, and gave me a cup of hot, black coffee, which helped.

What a tobacco, and what a Shop!
Ah, Jon’s Pipe Shop is a fantastic store. I only get to visit on the way to visit family in Southern Illinois (I’m in Michigan), but it’s always a worthwhile stop. I’ve never visited another tobacconist that had so many tinned blends in stock. And, yes, I too have been surprised to find Esoterica there when the online folks were all sold out.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love Penzance; it was my favorite blend from the very first bowl. But I’m an oddity, I guess, in preferring it fresh. (Thankfully, I started on it back in 2004, when you could walk into any good pipe shop and find tins just stacked there.) There’s a zing to the orientals that, for me, fades over time. Because I prefer it fresh, though, I’ve never cellared any as long as 11 years. I think three or four might be the oldest I’ve tried, and at that age it was not as magnificent for me as it was fresh.

But I’ve also heard that some blends go through a temporary “down” period during aging before transforming into something truly magical. If that’s true of Penzance, then you should have some fantastic smokes awaiting you!

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I also happen to have 2012 vintage. By chance I walked into the old Barclay Rex shop across the street from Grand Central Station in New York City one day (the shop is long since gone) and they had bags of Penzance in stock. I snapped one up and went home and jarred it right away. I have a little less than half that jar left and it is jet black in color. The stuff is smooth and fragrant to this day. The interesting thing about Penzance is that it is not a Latakia bomb. It is Virginia forward with a very faint hint of some additive flavoring that I suspect is anise (licorice). An amount so small that it's only rumored.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I also happen to have 2012 vintage. By chance I walked into the old Barclay Rex shop across the street from Grand Central Station in New York City one day (the shop is long since gone) and they had bags of Penzance in stock. I snapped one up and went home and jarred it right away. I have a little less than half that jar left and it is jet black in color. The stuff is smooth and fragrant to this day. The interesting thing about Penzance is that it is not a Latakia bomb. It is Virginia forward with a very faint hint of some additive flavoring that I suspect is anise (licorice). An amount so small that it's only rumored.
I loved that particular Barclay Rex…though there was another one on Lexington (up in the 50s, I think) that was also good. I’ve visited NYC a lot, and I can recall several times walking into the GCS Barclay Rex about 15 years ago, and they would have Esoterica tins just stacked up in a corner. You could easily pick up 10 at a time, if you were so inclined.

Those were the days…

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I haven’t seen “bloom” before. Isn’t it just sugar crystallized on Virginia leaf?
Yes. I have seen it on several blends that I have: 4 year old Squadron Leader, 1+ year old Kendal Flake, 1+ year old GLP Samarra, and 9 year old Stonehaven. It sparkles like starlight.

In my opinion, that’s sugar bloom on the photo of old Penzance above. Looks delicious 🤤

Reactions: OverMountain

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes. I have seen it on several blends that I have: 4 year old Squadron Leader, 1+ year old Kendal Flake, 1+ year old GLP Samarra, and 9 year old Stonehaven. It sparkles like starlight.

In my opinion, that’s sugar bloom on the photo of old Penzance above. Looks delicious 🤤
Not sugar.
Nobody is quite certain what it is, but those who have looked at it closely have ruled out sugar. Not the right structure for sugar cystals. Many think it’s fungus. I prescribe to the theory that it could be recrystalized calcium proprionate, an anti-fungal frequently used on tobacco (and baked goods). But I have no evidence to support that, either.

I just find it very amusing that people speak so lovingly about it, but really have no idea what it is!

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Not sugar.
Nobody is quite certain what it is, but those who have looked at it closely have ruled out sugar. Not the right structure for sugar cystals. Many think it’s fungus. I prescribe to the theory that it could be recrystalized calcium proprionate, an anti-fungal frequently used on tobacco (and baked goods). But I have no evidence to support that, either.

I just find it very amusing that people speak so lovingly about it, but really have no idea what it is!
Are you saying in all cases where “crystal bloom” is present on blends, especially flakes? Or only in this particular case? Because mold doesn’t sparkle like that, that I know of. The photo in the OP isn’t high enough resolution to help determine what’s really going on.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Are you saying in all cases where “crystal bloom” is present on blends, especially flakes? Or only in this particular case? Because mold doesn’t sparkle like that, that I know of. The photo in the OP isn’t high enough resolution to help determine what’s really going on.
As I said, as far as I know, nobody has factually determined what “plume” or “bloom” is. So unless you are qualified to make that determination through examination, testing and analysis, it will remain a mystery.

And yes, there are molds that can appear to sparkle. But appearance alone is not sufficient evidence to reach a determination.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
As I said, as far as I know, nobody has factually determined what “plume” or “bloom” is. So unless you are qualified to make that determination through examination, testing and analysis, it will remain a mystery.

And yes, there are molds that can appear to sparkle. But appearance alone is not sufficient evidence to reach a determination.
This is all very interesting information. So that inspires me to do some deep research on the Interwebs. My first discovery: Plume | Cigar Aficionado - https://www.cigaraficionado.com/glossary/plume

Plume, which is also called bloom, is a naturally occurring phenomenon in the cigar aging process. Oils that exude from the tobacco in a finished cigar will appear as a fine white powder and can be brushed off without leaving a mark. Plume is not to be confused with mold, which has color to it and stains the wrapper.