Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
anyone have feedback on this blend aged with different cellar times? I have some '22 and some 19ish tinned.
I plan on popping the 19, as I have found one year to three to be positive changes for FVF and Navy. Curious how the 1792 does.
I feel like 1792 is one of those Gawith blends you wanna smoke pretty fresh, or with a couple years tops. I imagine it losing some of its essence as it ages. But I'd love someone to correct me on this - as I have more than I can smoke in a couple years.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I feel like 1792 is one of those Gawith blends you wanna smoke pretty fresh, or with a couple years tops. I imagine it losing some of its essence as it ages. But I'd love someone to correct me on this - as I have more than I can smoke in a couple years.
I agree with this. I found some with some age on it and I enjoyed the fresh tobacco that just released better.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve just ordered some tonquin beans so I’m going to try a little experiment and pop one or two of them into the jar of 1792 and see if this adds more flavour.
I’m also tempted to try this with some of the other blends I don’t much care for, to see if it might “perk” them up a bit.
I shall let you all know the outcome of these dabblings.

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
Yesterday I opened a tin of 1792 that I bought in 2006. The topping is greatly diminished, but still there in the tin and the pipe. The smoke was earthy and sweet, but not tonquin-forward like fresh 1792. I think I'd prefer the fresh stuff.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Brewfan

Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
When I saw your post in the TAD thread, I didn't realize you'd never tried it before. Ordering a whole pound took some faith! 😁
Yes, but well informed faith! Reviews from people I trust and experience with other Gawith blends led me to believe it would be a winner. Not to mention, I know a place on the internet where I would have been able to find it a happy home if it didn't work out!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I bought some tonkin/tonquin beans from Wilson’s, I’ll put in the link below, and I’ve popped a couple in the jar with a recent tin of 1792; I’m hoping that they will keep the tonquin flavour going for longer. It could even add a stronger tonquin flavour possibly.

Tonquin Beans 50g bag (Tonga, Tonka) Hedges from £4.96 - Wilsons & Co - https://sharrowmills.com/product/tonquin-beans-25g-bag-tonga-tonka

While you’re having a look on their site, why not pick up a few tins of snuff as well. 👍🏼✌🏼

Reactions: Toast and eljimmy

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
About $45 for eight ounce box, if you can find it not backordered.

Highly Recommended- Worth Backordering

Description:

Samuel Gawith makes some of the most sought-after and recognizable pipe tobaccos in the industry, and among the most legendary is Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake. It begins with wonderfully sweet Virginias blended with dark-fired tobacco, enhanced with an intriguing Lakeland top note that makes the flavor smoother and more harmonious. While the taste is sweet and slightly smoky with a creaminess provided by the top dressing, don't let the gentle flavor fool you - this is a serious blend best enjoyed by veteran pipe fans, especially after a nice dinner or before bedtime. This never lasts long, so get yours while it's available.

——

This blend is heavily flavored with the extract of the tonquin bean, or coumarin, which is one of the flavorings used in Half and Half.

Tonquin Bean - https://thetastebudz.wordpress.com/worlds-ingredients/tonquin-bean/

Tobacco tasting is by nature subjective but if you don’t like this you need to smoke a pipe a few more years, and I promise you will.

1792 Flake comes in long pressed, moist, oily, glistening, flakes all nestled in a little plastic tray inside the box, sealed up with plastic.

One flake, folds up in fours and diced and sliced thin with a razor sharp knife, fills my big Peterson 307.

It’s a bit difficult to get fired up, and there’s more relights than usual.

1792 is a strong, nicotine rich tobacco, but smoooooth.

Under the Lakeland sauce of coumarin I can taste wonderful Virginias and rich dark fired burleys, but there’s this tonquin bean taste that’s just delicious beyond words to describe. You have to try this yourself, to believe how good a Lakeland can be.

View attachment 211907View attachment 211908
View attachment 211909View attachment 211910

If you are a veteran pipe smoker you will love this tobacco.

I’m jest a sotten here a remenisin’ ‘bout when my old Grandma Ma Agee used to write fer The Index, a new installment each week ‘bout Ma, Pa, Sy Thomas and Saydee, and sometimes Saydee’s young’un what lived over a half mile South of Bug Tussle.

Pa woulda guv up hiz homegrown Long Green, fer 1792 Flake.:)

You owe yourself this. It’s worth the wait for a back order.
I like 1792 flake and I also like it when I add perique to it.

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
About $45 for eight ounce box, if you can find it not backordered.

Highly Recommended- Worth Backordering

Description:

Samuel Gawith makes some of the most sought-after and recognizable pipe tobaccos in the industry, and among the most legendary is Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake. It begins with wonderfully sweet Virginias blended with dark-fired tobacco, enhanced with an intriguing Lakeland top note that makes the flavor smoother and more harmonious. While the taste is sweet and slightly smoky with a creaminess provided by the top dressing, don't let the gentle flavor fool you - this is a serious blend best enjoyed by veteran pipe fans, especially after a nice dinner or before bedtime. This never lasts long, so get yours while it's available.

——

This blend is heavily flavored with the extract of the tonquin bean, or coumarin, which is one of the flavorings used in Half and Half.

Tonquin Bean - https://thetastebudz.wordpress.com/worlds-ingredients/tonquin-bean/

Tobacco tasting is by nature subjective but if you don’t like this you need to smoke a pipe a few more years, and I promise you will.

1792 Flake comes in long pressed, moist, oily, glistening, flakes all nestled in a little plastic tray inside the box, sealed up with plastic.

One flake, folds up in fours and diced and sliced thin with a razor sharp knife, fills my big Peterson 307.

It’s a bit difficult to get fired up, and there’s more relights than usual.

1792 is a strong, nicotine rich tobacco, but smoooooth.

Under the Lakeland sauce of coumarin I can taste wonderful Virginias and rich dark fired burleys, but there’s this tonquin bean taste that’s just delicious beyond words to describe. You have to try this yourself, to believe how good a Lakeland can be.

View attachment 211907View attachment 211908
View attachment 211909View attachment 211910

If you are a veteran pipe smoker you will love this tobacco.

I’m jest a sotten here a remenisin’ ‘bout when my old Grandma Ma Agee used to write fer The Index, a new installment each week ‘bout Ma, Pa, Sy Thomas and Saydee, and sometimes Saydee’s young’un what lived over a half mile South of Bug Tussle.

Pa woulda guv up hiz homegrown Long Green, fer 1792 Flake.:)

You owe yourself this. It’s worth the wait for a back order.
Half and half is coriander, maze and cumanin. Smoke it every day.

Reactions: Briar Lee
G

Gimlet

I really didn't like 1792 the first time I tried it about 15 years ago (I couldn't even finish the tin, giving it away), but my appreciation for dark-fired tobaccos and funky flavorings has grown since then, so I ought to give it another chance...
I thought that, until I worked out which of my pipes suited it best. I have a large Chacom Robusto:
DSC_0584.JPG

I first tried 1792 when my usual on-line supplier sent it by mistake when I'd ordered Gawith's Best Brown flake (my main day time smoke).

I thought such a strong, rich tobacco might be overpowering in such a large pipe (it'll smoke for over an hour) so I smoked it in my smaller Peterson and the Savinelli Tigre pictured in my avatar. But I still found the 1792 a bit much. Then one evening when those pipes were resting I gave it a go in the big Robusto and found the perfect combination. It smokes beautifully in that pipe. Cool, sweet, even burning and long lasting. And somehow I find this tobacco easier to pack in that pipe. It does require careful packing as the bowl is so large and I'd have thought a rich sticky tobacco like 1792 would be tricky, but the opposite seems to be the case. That pipe and that tobacco just seem to like each other. 1792 in the big Chacom is now my evening smoke of choice.

Reactions: ThermionicScott