PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
As I’m newish, and have other spendy hobbies (horses, Harleys, hunting) I’m trying to not just “shotgun” buy blends to try. I’ve narrowed down genres and am pretty good on what VA/VaPers I like, and have found I only like Lat as a condiment.

Lately I’m really liking 1792 DKF, Bob’s Choc Flake, and WarHorse Green-both the strength and flavors hits the spot for me.

What readily available, and hopefully even affordable/bulk blends would be worth checking into along the same lines?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As I’m newish, and have other spendy hobbies (horses, Harleys, hunting) I’m trying to not just “shotgun” buy blends to try. I’ve narrowed down genres and am pretty good on what VA/VaPers I like, and have found I only like Lat as a condiment.

Lately I’m really liking 1792 DKF, Bob’s Choc Flake, and WarHorse Green-both the strength and flavors hits the spot for me.

What readily available, and hopefully even affordable/bulk blends would be worth checking into along the same lines?
EGR all day every day except the days I smoke other favorites. but it's a great aro with burly and just enough latakia to be invisible but effective.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Peterson Royal Yacht might be up your alley. I'm trying to pick stuff you can readily obtain. I'll suggest Stonehaven but that's not happening right now.
Gawith ropes are on the table if you're good with a stout nicotine blend.
I like the Irish Flake, and a little less their University Flake.
The Royal Yacht is on the “wanna try list”.
GH and SG are definitely what I’d like to explore more, but the availability is gonna make me put a dent in the budget grabbing a half pound each of 1792 and Bob’s Chocolate.
Glengarry sounds tasty but it sounds more on the mild side.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I like the Irish Flake, and a little less their University Flake.
The Royal Yacht is on the “wanna try list”.
GH and SG are definitely what I’d like to explore more, but the availability is gonna make me put a dent in the budget grabbing a half pound each of 1792 and Bob’s Chocolate.
Glengarry sounds tasty but it sounds more on the mild side.
Glengarry is on the mild side. PM me, I'd be happy to set you up with sampler package.

G

Gimlet

GH Best Brown unscented is one I'm never without, alongside Ennerdale and 1792. Easily overlooked because it's "just" tobacco, virginia and burley, and no flavourings. But it's lovely. Tastes like old fashioned tobacconists used to smell. Woody, nutty, toasty and slightly sweet with creamy smoke. And because there are no flavourings or essences at all (and there really aren't - there is nothing floral or "Lakeland" about it) you can mix the leftovers in your pouch or tin to whatever you're opening next and it'll always work. I've smoked it straight after 1792 and you might think it would be bland in comparison, but it's not.
It's a hard working blend that seems to be good in any pipe at any time of day.

Interestingly, it may be one of the few GH flakes that I find improves with a little drying. I almost never dry my flakes and have no difficulty in lighting them or keeping them lit, even the really moist ones like 1792. But I've always bought BBU loose from a high street tobacconist. It's one of their most popular blends so they're in and out of the jar all the time. Lately they say the factory are sending more tinned than loose and I've found it's better to transfer a 2 oz tin to a leather pouch to get it to the same smoking readiness as the loose.

GH Louisiana and Jamaican Rum flakes are really good as well. The Louisiana is probably my preferred of the two but the Jamaican isn't a bad substitute for 1792 in my local tobacconist if they've run out of 1792.

Last edited by a moderator:

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
If you like the smokiness of Dark Fired Kentucky, give MacBaren's Bold Kentucky a try. It is not as stout in nic as 1792, but it is not a light nic blend. Flavor is full and it is often widely available in 1lb. boxes as well as tins.

Reactions: Puff nstuff
G

Gimlet

If you like rich, leathery dark flakes with strong nicotine, Peterson's Irish flake is worth a try. Not sweet with tonquin like 1792 but similarly deep and pungent with a slightly sharper, almost fermented note. I've heard it described as a farmyard taste. But that's more in the sense of fermented fodder, not the slurry pit.
It's certainly bursting with flavour and smokes cool and reliably. The nicotine becomes prickly towards the end of the bowl which you'll feel through your nose. Some smokers like that hit, some find it a bit much. I smoke 1792 more often but Irish flake makes a good substitute if I run out.

Last edited by a moderator: