PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Today was a good postbox day, along came a 1941 George Yale catalog I had recently found, in original envelope with assorted loose sheets and etc. --- also was lucky to also get an old Martin's catalog and a couple of trade journals from 1924 and 1949...
...here are a few selected pages from the glorious paper:
uQz1JSS.jpg

5CheAas.jpg

39ze245.jpg

1ILTzUy.jpg

EUuSpbw.jpg

SDdm2aM.jpg

CL7ARSm.jpg

Qv82cXq.jpg

IIOnHSw.jpg

Tl8ixmw.jpg

NQqBBxb.jpg

EFAKWeA.jpg

vHBVKLG.jpg

zn0o6KX.jpg

YA0TVJH.jpg

VBEYseF.jpg

GS5Xw8Z.jpg

128jBI3.jpg

4eiQmOX.jpg

8RKmbdw.jpg

WKbBEA6.jpg

mVhwBLS.jpg

gfYYHLV.jpg

5LejX2W.jpg

kOBWfoV.jpg

kohq5uj.jpg

Yrnu2FP.jpg

sJISIu5.jpg

PTNDE54.jpg

s4QepDi.jpg

3ZKxz59.jpg

FsAMQE3.jpg

Iu4jlII.jpg

wvJUSzp.jpg

Zek3TnW.jpg

j4ZapgT.jpg

s4Q5Uuo.jpg

2Lxh1wV.jpg

6WFiMP6.jpg

qsvAK8m.jpg

ggSPpHw.jpg

NyUTA1U.jpg

daYi2zH.jpg

bbsvHXp.jpg

1xnAsnE.jpg

rbbXGP9.jpg

N4RbfmQ.jpg

7VismRS.jpg

DTmLc0v.jpg

vD4pLY5.jpg

7cVeBP4.jpg

eR2RGE6.jpg

Yj835as.jpg

6nI0bm0.jpg

gZZVOf5.jpg

MDXeYE3.jpg

DE6DwMn.jpg

yQNK8s3.jpg

spDyhhJ.jpg

NDOTcE2.jpg

BYZCeyg.jpg

R8dYRGF.jpg

7jCPKP3.jpg

ZZ3xpde.jpg

wvwOPHE.jpg

kPJOO5q.jpg

CSAuUeC.jpg

T6EEola.jpg

iVXAlyD.jpg

pOVhB35.jpg

Xb2I6F1.jpg

1febvGU.jpg

aqYDR1R.jpg

30H7Pve.jpg

qOA0uy4.jpg

jG520MX.jpg

PBgSCfk.jpg

2JG6alL.jpg

tgAK3B9.jpg

Z3KVCUq.jpg

AIEzBfS.jpg

D8TEC3N.jpg

L5tqchy.jpg

yZRKaTc.jpg

Z1xSnng.jpg

SnyVCm3.jpg

mm8MDxu.jpg

AogvHQS.jpg

AzaXoxP.jpg

Q6jXa8g.jpg

gGuzbbp.jpg

6wasGq6.jpg

e0YmKUW.jpg

JRi5dCp.jpg

MuQZWbh.jpg

zWq9r5z.jpg

qTHZcHD.jpg

gdua3Kf.jpg

TmglV5G.jpg

lZ5dJGe.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
MLC, your Tobacco Time Machine is awesome. Absolutely, insanely awesome. :D :D :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Fantastic! MLC provides another very valuable and interesting post.
One item that caught my eye was in the "pipe hospital" ad where stem replacement is priced at 50¢ for vulcanite and 75¢ for para rubber. Barling stems have been described as being made from para rubber and I assumed that it was another term for vulcanite. Evidently it was something different. If anyone can explain the difference between vulcanite and para rubber, I'd like to have it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Barling stems have been described as being made from para rubber and I assumed that it was another term for vulcanite. Evidently it was something different. If anyone can explain the difference between vulcanite and para rubber, I'd like to have it.
Para rubber refers to the type of plant that the latex came from which was used to make it. There are a number of them in Nature, but the Para (sometimes spelled Parra) variety is the only one that can be managed as a domestic crop---i.e. raised on farms---while the others must be tracked down and tapped in the wild. Those varieties haven't been commercially viable since the colonial era in Africa ended after WWII.
Since the catalog was printed in 1941, though, and "native" latex extracted from vines in the Belgian Congo (as it was then called) was considered inferior to the purer Para type that came from (mostly) South America, I suspect the price difference reflects perceived quality.
Whether the contaminants & etc in raw latex actually make a difference in the final rubber, I have no idea. (I would think it's like crude oil grades... what you start with doesn't matter, the dirty stuff just requires more refining/distillation.)

May 31, 2012
Yeah,

some interesting stuff.
I've been on the lookout for this era of a Geo. Yale catalog and finally found one, although a bit tatty, it came with various loose sheets, the Sasieni flyer, a tobacco blending sheet, and a couple of other neat loose sheets, all in the original envelope.
I've not had a chance to really sit down and absorb this stuff yet, but I was stoked to see upon quick scan that Samuel Gawith showed up with Grouse-Moor & Skiff being both available, a fact that I thought was very cool.
The McKinnell advert was charming just because I love archaic language,

I had no idea what it meant,

google says:

Guid gear gangs in sma' buik.
Good things come in small packages.
The literal meaning is "good stuff goes in small book".
A close equivalent in standard English would be, "Good equipment goes in small bulk" and the whole proverb means that something can be small and yet of good quality.
more concisely:
Sc. 1896 A. Cheviot Proverbs 122:

Gude gear gangs into little bouk. -Mod.: guid gear (gangs) in sma' (little) buik, applied to a small but capable person (Abd.27, Slg.3, Edb.1, Ayr.8, Wgt.4, Rxb.4 1954).- †(2) Stuff for eating or drinking: food or drink; crops, grain, etc.
The story about the engineer slugging out the ciggy machine was funny.
Finding a small article about Louis Orlik was a delight.
Rest assured that if I ever come across a copy of The Episodes of Ebenezer Phizzletop,

that I will instantly obtain it if within a reasonable threshold --- I am a huge City de Luxe fan!

I'm not rich or fanatical enough to pay $200 though,

here's a copy if anybody may be willing!

http://www.theukrarityshop.com/2043.htm
Regarding para rubber,

it was definitely in vogue during the pre-war time it seems, even Kaywoodie used the terminology, and BBB, and many others too I'd reckon...
...I remember this great looking Yenson where I shamelessly requested that the op sell it to me right there in the thread!

With box which notes that the pipe uses "super para vulcanite"...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/info-on-yenson-and-h-simmons
:puffy:

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
MLC - I've been here a while, but not a big poster so you might not have ever even noticed my screen name before. But I've read many of your threads and look forward to each new find from you. Thanks for doing what you do. Your collections of tobacciana literature are spectacular. I love the glimpses into the past. So thanks!!!!!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Great post! I thought the "odd shaped pipes" were especially interesting. I wouldn't have guessed the "banjo" had been around so long.
Also, the "Boer" looks like what we would call a hawkbill nowadays, which is still a relatively odd/rare pipe. The name "Boer," along with the oom paul, makes me curious as to why the South African influence was so marked in the pipe smoking world that multiple shape names were taken from there.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for the kind words gents.

:puffy:
jmatt -

of course I remember you, you were part of the GLPease crawl, plus your avatar invokes an intense visceral response in me when I see it, conjuring massive earthquake rumbles of the time when I went to the NHRA Southern Nationals - it was totally intense!
dublinesque -

great eye with the Boer and its hawkbillishness.

As for the S.A. influence, I would speculate that the English were especially emotionally invested in the country due to the Boer War, both from the early 1880's and the larger episode at around the turn of the century, which was a time when the British briar pipe industry was still in its formative stages --- I'd love to hear more on the subject too though.
An interesting sidenote,

re: the Martins Carlyle pipes,

couldn't help but to notice that they call their traditional billiards the "French shape".
9qwabiy.png

*note

The phrase "all your base are belong to us" has an interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us
8)

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
MLC - if you enjoyed watching it, you should imagine the sensation from the driver's seat. And I only ever made 2400hp. The REAL big boys are now pushing 10,000hp. But anyway - cheers and thanks!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Warning - Warning Will Robinson - Too much to take in at one setting, visual overload.
+1 on that ... but another truly magnificent post MLC.
Those old prices are always fascinating. It's amazing how valuable federal reserve currency used to be.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Misterlowercase.

thank you for letting me know that the old unused Critic pipe I receieved today

is a Delacour pipe.

I have put it in the freezer to get it apart

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The name "Boer," along with the oom paul, makes me curious as to why the South African influence was so marked in the pipe smoking world that multiple shape names were taken from there.
South Africa was once a frontier much like the American West was. Now it seems to be a failing society, but once, it was where the up-and-comers went to make a name for themselves.
I like that "Bull Moose" pipe. MLC, thank you for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.