PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Screenshot_20211128-171309.pngExcuse my ignorance but is there really that big of a different to stock up on both? Ones more sweet or more spicy? I have some Carolina Red Flake I cellaring right now. Have heard good things so far about it. Cringle Flake has very mixed reviews. I know they tweak the blends each time they come out. Any insight would be appreciated.

Reactions: Devil Anse

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I don’t know what Sutliff does to their tobaccos…but I’ve tried their Red Virginia cake, Virginia Slices, and last year’s Cringle Flake and not only do they not agree with my tastes, they cause some strange discomfort in my mouth and nose.

I love Carolina Red Flake, however, and have never had any bad experiences in any of the several iterations over the years.

So, to me, they are quite different, and hopefully you’ll end up liking both.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I don’t know what Sutliff does to their tobaccos…but I’ve tried their Red Virginia cake, Virginia Slices, and last year’s Cringle Flake and not only do they not agree with my tastes, they cause some strange discomfort in my mouth and nose.

I love Carolina Red Flake, however, and have never had any bad experiences in any of the several iterations over the years.

So, to me, they are quite different, and hopefully you’ll end up liking both.

I could not have said it better myself. I liked the flavor of '20 Cringle Flake but couldnt help but get tongue bite. I wish I could smoke it ?

I think it's a palate thing. C&D flakes sit well with me. Absolutely love C&D Red Flake.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
They are both good, and different. I get a lighter, cookie dough, spice/spices, hay/vegetal thing from CRFP. I get deeper molasses, fig, darker action from cringle. I like them both. I’m actually surprised how much I like crfp though and right now I’m leaning toward that one if I had to choose between the two. I’m talking about 2020 cringle here, so 2021 will certainly be different, but the descriptions and components lead me to believe it will be pretty similar to 2020.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As much as I like a Virginia/Perique, the addition of Perique was a disservice to both of these blends. 2019 Cringle Flake was very close to Christmas Cheer and the only year they've offered it without Perique.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Very different animals. One thing I've learned, you can read all you want about different Virginia & Va/Per blends, but you won't know until you actually try them.

After a while you'll see some similarities between blends of the same manufacturer, especially if given the same leaf used. But then there's stoved vs not, Flake vs plug vs ribbon, how much added sugar/topping? How much perique, what kind of perique?

Cringle flake uses not only different perique than CRF, but different Virginias in different proportions, of vastly different ages. Cringle flake also uses more stoving/"cavendishing" in it's creation, while I believe CRF uses much less.

There's also a big difference in burn characteristics between the two, and what moisture makes the best for the best flavor, IMO.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
As much as I like a Virginia/Perique, the addition of Perique was a disservice to both of these blends. 2019 Cringle Flake was very close to Christmas Cheer and the only year they've offered it without Perique.
I was thinking it would be cool marketing if they made a nice dense plug of some sort (naughty list, you got coal edition?)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The 2020 edition of Cringle Flake was, for me, an absolute joy to smoke, smooth, no bite, a richly tangy matured Red with that wonderful aged Perique. Some people have issues with Red Vriginias. Luckily, I do not.

The new edition is a different animal. The Red Virginia has 20 years of age on it as opposed to last year's edition, which had 10 years of aging, and according to jiminks is less sweet and a bit more floral. I hope to stock up on it when it becomes available.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’m smoking through tins of 2020 Cringle and 2018 CRF at the moment. I far prefer the Cringle Flake. The processing seems to have better melded the constituents than with the CRF.

Both are excellent but quite different blends.

I eagerly anticipate this year’s Cringle. It sounds like it will be worth adding to the cellar. Brighter in flavor as compared to the 2020 version.

Devil Anse

Mar 29, 2020
California
Short answer:
I’m with Sablebrush52 and renfield!

Long answer:
I can say I couldn’t have been more thrilled with the 2020 Cringle Flake. It’s one of my favorite blends of all time. I’m certainly a fan of CRF and CRF w/ Perique as well no doubt but each release has its own flavor profile.

Cringle Flake 2021 sounds like from reading JimInks review a brighter flavor profile than 2020 Cringle Flake. Never having tried the 2019 Cringle Flake I can’t speak to it but sounds like I missed out on a fantastic tobacco.

For me I can say all of these blends are in my wheelhouse but with their own distinct flavor profiles. I don’t see any down side to going in on the 2021 Cringle Flake. In fact I can’t wait to see what it’s all about.

Last edited:

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Late to the party…but…I don’t have long term experience with either…but, this year:

I find Carolina Flake to be a tart treat for this year’s version. Can’t compare to past. I did get enough tins that I should be able to enjoy through the years. Not a “stockpile” but, enough. Did it on a whim as it sold out fast and can’t get anymore unless you pay the piper. If didn’t like - could sell easily enough.

I find Cringle Flake to be a sweet treat for this year’s version. Can’t compare to past with this one either. But, ditto rest of above paragraph.

I’ve been cool with regular blends - but, took the bait…played the game…and now finding myself keeping smoking these blends to figure out if I like them. OK - I like them. Guilty. Haha. I guess some people sell them eventually - but, unless I’m dying or decide to gift one - Mine are mine and will remain that way till I smoke the last tin. I got enough to last me till I’m out.

No idea if I’ll keep playing the game every year for the “prize” but I would like to find a red that I can try sans the perique. So many people talk about reds that have nothing but red. I cannot find any….that don’t cost a testicle.

the only thing I don’t like about these blends - is if they aren’t dry enough - they turn my tongue into sandpaper…or tongue bite per se…bit - definitely DRY tongue.

Reactions: That Guy and AlanH