250g of tobacco to much to order online to Canada ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

willjw

Lurker
Jun 26, 2023
Hello, I am just curious i don't care of duty tax but I live in Canada and I see a lot of forums saying you can order 200g of tobacco but I ordered 250g of tobacco online. Will I get it or will they hold it in customs cause it's over 200g. I am just confused and never have ordered online before.

Thank you

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
welcome aboard. There’s two schools of thought when it comes to discussions about importing tobacco to Canada. You’ll read about one of them in many of the other thread which post experiences here, and the other you won’t. Since you have ordered 250g, and don’t mind paying duty I guess all you can do it sit tight and see what happens. Good luck ✌🏼

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Nothing will happen other than getting dinged for whatever amount they arbitrarily choose to charge.

The 200 gram proviso applies ONLY to travelers returning to Canada after being abroad for more than 72 hours. Online orders have nothing to do with this limit since the purchaser is INSIDE Canada.
Arbitrary is the operative word!

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
You are permitted 200 grams of loose tobacco, plus 200 cigarettes, plus 50 cigars, per adult, after being out of Canada for 72 hours or more, as long as the combined value does not exceed $800.00 CDN.

If ordering online from outside Canada, you may be required to pay Federal Duty, Provincial Taxes, and GST on ANY quantity. Yes, even on a 50 gram tin.

It depends on how "letter of the law" the customs official is as your package clears customs.

I strongly suggest that IF you order online you make sure the sender declares the contents of any package correctly. Declaring tobacco as hobby supplies or pipe filler may bring a smile to your face, but Canada Customs will take a dim view and you and the shipper may end up getting tagged and then each and every package you buy or they ship will get flagged and inspected.

Mike

Reactions: willjw

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I will say after putting in many orders of pipe tobacco from US online vendors its a complete crapshoot as to what you may pay for customs at the border. I have been overcharged, including paying tobacco duties on pipes and even pipe cleaners and even the total package weight once! I have been under charged quite a few times as well and sometimes it goes through without any customs charges. As far as I can tell, and I've put in a lot of orders, there is truly no rhyme or reason to the Canadian customs for pipe tobacco, it's whatever that particular officer decides to write on your sheet. Good luck.

willjw

Lurker
Jun 26, 2023
I will say after putting in many orders of pipe tobacco from US online vendors its a complete crapshoot as to what you may pay for customs at the border. I have been overcharged, including paying tobacco duties on pipes and even pipe cleaners and even the total package weight once! I have been under charged quite a few times as well and sometimes it goes through without any customs charges. As far as I can tell, and I've put in a lot of orders, there is truly no rhyme or reason to the Canadian customs for pipe tobacco, it's whatever that particular officer decides to write on your sheet. Good luck.
When you order your pipe tobacco how long does it sit in customs for ? My tobacco has been sitting in customs for about 8 days now just says clearing customs.

Reactions: gervais

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Not that I am encouraging anyone to do it, but surely it is really easy to get tobacco across the border without detection. Like, it is the longest border in the world, surely there must be points at which you can walk to America, from Canada, on foot, visit a tobacconist, then walk back home. Not encouraging anyone to do that, because obviously it would be illegal.

• Haha
Reactions: skeeter456