PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I like to imagine that word of The Alaskan Seven Day Pipe Set set the world of pipe makers abuzz. Finally! The contribution that they could make to culture & history was now unmistakable. Pipe craftsmen & women should be taken seriously. As should the product of their craft, their sweat, their labour.
Poor Chris Askwith!
For my inaugural pipe commission I decided that what the world really needed, more than anything else, was a strawberry coloured, strawberry shaped, strawberry wood pipe - with a green mouthpiece.
Somehow Chris even managed to make it look pretty dang classy.
(Honestly, I can't recommend him enough: he was a consummate professional, lovely, & turned it around super-quick.)
It smokes beautifully & it makes me smile. I'm not sure you can ask for much more.
IMG_20210525_132128.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Strawberry wood is great, blasts well and is much lighter than a briar of comparable size. I have three from Bruce Weaver that are amazing pieces.

Reactions: Toast

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
It's really light - & I love the 'pips' you get with the blast.

I was a bit anxious about it, being my first commission, but Chris was super-patient - & having seen it through the various stages really adds to my appreciation of it & the craft that went into making it. It won't be my only commission for sure!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's really light - & I love the 'pips' you get with the blast.

I was a bit anxious about it, being my first commission, but Chris was super-patient - & having seen it through the various stages really adds to my appreciation of it & the craft that went into making it. It won't be my only commission for sure!
Commissions are a lot of fun. You get a glimpse into pipe making and have a collaborative hand in creating a one of a kind piece made just for you.

Reactions: Toast and autumnfog