PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have both brands in numbers, but I don't own that particular Peterson shape. However, I do have the Savinelli 673KS, which has the advantage in your case of being about the most Peterson-looking pipe they make. I'd go with Savinelli in this case.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think Stanwell makes a much better pipe, consistently, that Savinelli or Peterson, and I've had several of all three. Stanwell for my money. I'll never own another Peterson and O hate the balsa filter in the Savinellis, and I don't like their adapter either.
The new Italian made Stanwells aren’t that great IMO.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I held off a long time before buying my first Stan, when production went to Italy, but I was lucky and all four pipes, all Italian-made, have done fine over four or five years. I have the Sixten Iversson designed pot, a Canadian, and two 32 bulldogs in different finishes. So far, A-OK.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm bias. Pete all the way. Never had issue with bad drilling. But I do need to mention some of the stems are not very straight. No issue with smoking. Then again, I always get ones with sterling silver bands (other than St. Paddy's and Christmas pipes). Bowl coating is there, but either you can smoke 'em off or get rid of it in multiple different ways. Natural finish doesn't have bowl coating. If you are concerned about dip coating, that hasn't happened in few years. 80s is a good model. Following is a flame trained spigot 80s.

View attachment 60707
Dear Bullet08,

Please do not drive up demand for silver covered 80ses. You consideration of this request is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mingc

I had a brushed brown and the finish started coming off the rim after smoking it carefully a couple times.
Have you ever owned a new Danish Stanwell? I've had at least 4, all smooths, and I recall that happened on at least two of them. I think it's because they use water soluble stains. My one Italian Stanwell hasn't exhibited the same issue (yet).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Dear Bullet08,

Please do not drive up demand for silver covered 80ses. You consideration of this request is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mingc

Have you ever owned a new Danish Stanwell? I've had at least 4, all smooths, and I recall that happened on at least two of them. I think it's because they use water soluble stains. My one Italian Stanwell hasn't exhibited the same issue (yet).
Yes I had a Danish made stanwell billiard (sold now) and it did not have that problem. Also have a Danish made reg’d no. Canadian sandblast with no issue either.

The finish on the brushed brown was a hard lacquer like you would see on a smooth red or green Pete. However it did not hold up like the sprayed Pete finishes do.

so maybe it’s just certain finishes?

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Well, I ordered my new pipe a few minutes ago. I decided to try the 80s for several reasons. I prefer the look of the shank shape and the big silver band(plus my bride did too).Edit: Intended to include that I have never owned a Peterson..the tie breaker for me really.
I'm crossing my fingers that I can save up and maybe catch a deal on the 673 on IPSD. I want both of these just for comparison sake.
I appreciate all of the input here! I will try to get some pictures up when they arrive.

Cotton1

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: anotherbob

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a Rossi 673 (I think technically an 8673 on their chart), and a Peterson Shannon 150 (straight bulldog), but not an 80s. I reach for the Pete way more often. It took a bit to stop gurgling a time or two when smoking it, but it always delivered a flavorful and quality smoke. I have decided I'll probably never buy another filter pipe, but it's not the biggest deal. I smoke my Rossi 6mm without a filter or adapter, and it's a bit too airy for me. Other than that, it is well made and smokes well.

If all things were equal, I'd go with the non-filter pipe, but all things are rarely equal. I think the Peterson 80s is a more attractive shape, but of course that is highly personal. If it was an important decision because I really needed the pipe to be a good smoker due to budget/rotation issues, I might go with the Savinelli. My personal experience with Peterson has been mostly positive, but I understand others have different experiences.

I don't know about any IPSD specific deals, but because Laudisi owns Peterson now, SP runs sales on Petes semi-regularly. I've also seen Peterson sales on Tobacco Pipes.

Edit: Just saw you already made a choice. I suspect you'll be happy! What model is it, if you don't mind me asking. I really like Peterson's silver work.

Reactions: Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have a Rossi 673 (I think technically an 8673 on their chart), and a Peterson Shannon 150 (straight bulldog), but not an 80s. I reach for the Pete way more often. It took a bit to stop gurgling a time or two when smoking it, but it always delivered a flavorful and quality smoke. I have decided I'll probably never buy another filter pipe, but it's not the biggest deal. I smoke my Rossi 6mm without a filter or adapter, and it's a bit too airy for me. Other than that, it is well made and smokes well.

If all things were equal, I'd go with the non-filter pipe, but all things are rarely equal. I think the Peterson 80s is a more attractive shape, but of course that is highly personal. If it was an important decision because I really needed the pipe to be a good smoker due to budget/rotation issues, I might go with the Savinelli. My personal experience with Peterson has been mostly positive, but I understand others have different experiences.

I don't know about any IPSD specific deals, but because Laudisi owns Peterson now, SP runs sales on Petes semi-regularly. I've also seen Peterson sales on Tobacco Pipes.

Edit: Just saw you already made a choice. I suspect you'll be happy! What model is it, if you don't mind me asking. I really like Peterson's silver work.
I selected the Irish Harp 80s and am hoping to obtain a Totruga 673ks in the future. I have wanted the 673 style for a while and have considered the 8673 Rossi and the Series 3 673 as a way to save a few bucks on it. For now though, I will hopefully enjoy the Pete and wait for the right time on the Savenelli.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
First bowl just under way. I chose Royal Yacht because I have been in a trend of smoking that early then Maltese Falcon or something else with Lat later...but I didn't have my first bowl yet,so here I am.
I passed a pipe cleaner thru and left that in and packed the bowl fairly tight as I had read somewhere here about that method and wanted to try it.
Draw seems good to me. I'm surprised and a bit disappointed at how light this pipe is, but it doesn't seem to be getting hot. I'm not worried about relights and am trying to take it slowly.
This pipe is comfortable in my hand and the stem is comfortable to me too. I wasn't sure about the larger stem but it seems fine. Also should note that the stem fit is very tight.
I'm getting a little different taste from the RY but not sure if that's because of the bowl treatment or new pipe or both, or maybe it's just me.
So far I am happy and wanted to thank you here again for your input!
Cotton1

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Peterson bowl coating can impart a thoroughly nasty taste. Not always but often enough. If it doesn’t go away you might sand it out - easy enough to do just don’t go caveman on it. Gently sand it out. I generally try to smoke it out with some burley blends, get annoyed and then sand it out. Efficient, I know. I keep thinking next time I’ll just start by removing that damn bowl coating ... and then don’t until I’ve made the project messier and more time consuming.

Lovely pipe, I hope you enjoy it.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Peterson bowl coating can impart a thoroughly nasty taste. Not always but often enough. If it doesn’t go away you might sand it out - easy enough to do just don’t go caveman on it. Gently sand it out. I generally try to smoke it out with some burley blends, get annoyed and then sand it out. Efficient, I know. I keep thinking next time I’ll just start by removing that damn bowl coating ... and then don’t until I’ve made the project messier and more time consuming.

Lovely pipe, I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for the kind words!

What I am getting that's different is sort of bitter/ cinnamon...it clashes with the flavor I have come to expect.
I will try a few bowls first but will keep your suggestion in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.