PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My great uncle recently passed away at 96. He was a medic during the Normandy Invasion, aka Operation Overlord or D-Day. He never liked talking about his experience. I certainly understand why. God bless ?
I had a great uncle I never met who parachuted into Normandy. He stayed in Europe until December of 1945.

When he arrived home he had his uniform on and a chest full of medals. He took the uniform off and only wore it one more time.

About two months after he got home he gathered all the family that was still in Wisconsin. They had a big belated Thanksgiving and he gave everyone there a twenty dollar bill.

He never spoke about the war after that.

They buried him in his uniform when he died in 1976.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Everyone should read or listen to FDR's message to the country on June 6, 1944 which was in the form of a prayer: "Our sons, pride of our nation..." Still makes my heart beat faster.

and read the message which Ike carried in his pocket during those days. It illustrates just how unsure was the result of the invasion which would result , thankfully, in the saving of the world from evil thanks to the extraordinary courage of all involved .

FDR and Eisenhower, two very different men from very different perspectives who put their differences aside for America. Worth noting

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dwight Eisenhower was no writer, but if you want to get a feel for what excruciating planning went into D-Day, read his "Crusade In Europe." They worked on the invasion for years, both the military side evaluating the beach, the tides, the weather patterns, but equally the international politics, the politics between military leaders of various nations, and so on. Even Patton, in temporary disgrace for slapping a shell-shocked GI, was used as a decoy to mislead the Nazis as to where the landing would be made. The book is endless detail, and can get pretty dry, but at least you know that despite the grim chances for GI's making the landing, thousands of people had spent years making it the best bet it could be. I guess a few true warriors were only looking for some Nazis to shoot, whereas everyone else was casting their fate to the winds and moving forward. Homework payed. Even when he was a former President, Eisenhower wept when he spoke of the sacrifices.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a young boy, we made several pilgrimages to Normandy (father was stationed in Germany). I didn't quite appreciate the significance then. If you ever get to New Orleans, don't miss the WWII museum (was the D-Day museum). The opening movie narrated by Tom Hanks is frightening (my mother, a Hungarian WWII refugee cried). They have several Higgins boats on display and they did have a landing craft pilot on hand several days of the week. I'm not sure many of those guys are still with us.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My Dad was a 101st Airborne Paratrooper. He parachuted into Normandy. He participated in 3 of the 4 major WWII battles. I asked him about how those men could leave those boats and run into the really machine gun fire. He said patriotism was different then. They truly felt they were fighting for their freedom and giving their life was worth it.

If you remember in Saving Private Ryan, those that parachuted in were in a dense fog. He said that was real and the dangerous challenge was telling the Germans from the friendlies. The US soldiers had clickers to help identify themselves from the enemy. Older folks here have probably seen them.

Most of us have no clue what the Greatest Generation sacrificed for us to be able to enjoy the freedoms and lifestyle we now have.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Fathers brother was there, only one he ever talked to about it was when I came back from S Asia, we did what the Aussies say was a walkabout on the headland of my Grandfathers farm. Maybe he felt I had seen some of the tramus of war, but no I was humbled and my service seemed piteful compared to what he had been through. He was not fully right in the head, but he lived a good life. God Bless America??!

Status
Not open for further replies.