PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just in today is this NOS LHS Sterncrest Lovat

This is my very first American factory pipe.

My interest was picqued when I re-read an old thread on LHS pipes.
Ex-Forums members Danielplainview and Tuold posted some wonderful pipes.

I was particularly taken with the silver-banded Sterncrests - very classically shaped in the Britwood tradition.

Pipedia has a very good article on Sterncrest

This pipe is stamped “Sterncrest” on an arch over LHS in a diamond, and “Imported Briar” under that
Thus dating this to post-WW II

It would have cost $7.50 back then.

The briar has pretty ordinary grain with a couple of small, inconspicuous fills.
Sterling silver band
And it is a sitter

Intriguingly it has a chimney condenser tenon extension rather than the more common metal stinger.
In fact this is the only Sterncrest I have come across with a chimney

Any input will be very welcome.

377FD191-DF9A-4329-9375-4CB19127879A.jpegB5EB7ACD-3A82-4443-8819-5F8C4C0AAC5B.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Vintage LHS pipes are consistently excellent smokers IMO. Good find!
I was drawn to the LHS Sterncrest line because of their classic Britwood shapes, finished with handsome sterling silver bands
They are surprisingly affordably priced for NOS and mint-condition examples today.
A bit more than estate Pipes by Lee and Marxman pipes, but not a whole lot more

The briar is pretty "meh" in terms of grain, but I put that down to the general shortage of premium briar post-WW II
That, of course, should have little or no effect on their smoking quality

I will smoke it this weekend and compare it with a similarly shaped and sized pipe that does not have a chimney condenser.

Those keen on American factory era pipes should have a look at the LHS Sterncrest pipes.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I was drawn to the LHS Sterncrest line because of their classic Britwood shapes, finished with handsome sterling silver bands
They are surprisingly affordably priced for NOS and mint-condition examples today.
A bit more than estate Pipes by Lee and Marxman pipes, but not a whole lot more

The briar is pretty "meh" in terms of grain, but I put that down to the general shortage of premium briar post-WW II
That, of course, should have little or no effect on their smoking quality

I will smoke it this weekend and compare it with a similarly shaped and sized pipe that does not have a chimney condenser.

Those keen on American factory era pipes should have a look at the LHS Sterncrest pipes.

For sure... I have 2 or 3 of these in my collection, "Certified Purex". 1950s or earlier. Not everyone favors Rhodesians, but I find the shape charming and have 4 or 5 total (including a Tom Howard, Kaywoodie Oversized, etc.) in my personal collection of 50 pipes or so... The LHS pipes stand their own ground in a decent collection of pipes IMHO.

1.png2.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So. How does it smoke ?
Firstly it’s quite a short Lovat at a tad under 5 ins
It has a very thin bit and it is a lightweight
So clenching is very comfortable

I smoked a bowl of MacBaren’s Mixture: Scottish Blend which was dried in the sun for 5 mins
Lit with just one match.
No relights and smoked down to ash

No gurgles but it did whistle
Was that because of the chimney condenser ?

Overall a good pipe for the money.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I bought a 'lot' of 5 pipes ($10.00) on ebay back 9 yrs ago when I first got into pipes and one was this same model, but it had been robbed of the silver. It is a very nice clencher, for sure. Maybe some day I'll run into a band to put back on it. I've to a few other LHS pipes and they're all fine smoking pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
There was an unsmoked LHS lovat at Blue Room Briars several years ago… I came so close to buying that pipe. I wish I had but then I would have been down the rabbit hole with no exit. Beautiful pipe by the way.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There was an unsmoked LHS lovat at Blue Room Briars several years ago… I came so close to buying that pipe. I wish I had but then I would have been down the rabbit hole with no exit. Beautiful pipe by the way.
Yes.
This is my very 1st American pipe - factory or artisan.
It’s a rabbit hole I‘ve deliberately tried hard to avoid entering 😁

My justification for this purchase was “it’s a Lovat (my latest infatuation) AND the Sterncrests look like Britwoods AND it has the intriguing chimney condenser”

You can talk yourself into anything 😁

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In my collection I have an estate LHS Sterncrest briar billiard with a sterling silver band that features an engraving of a pointing dog. It is a well-made, well-drilled pipe, a good smoker, and its briar has a pretty combination of birds-eye and flame graining, and no fills. No complaints here!