PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You're making me very hungry. I like both! I think onde-onde dough is better than mochi: it's softer and less chewy.
Onde node is my favourite kueh.
The absolute gold standard are the ones made by one of my aunts (by marriage). Who learnt from her mother

Problem is getting freshly grated coconut and santan in Sydney.
Possible in one of the suburbs with a large Vietnamese population, but it‘s a good 1 hr+ trip from home :(

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Onde node is my favourite kueh.
The absolute gold standard are the ones made by one of my aunts (by marriage). Who learnt from her mother

Problem is getting freshly grated coconut and santan in Sydney.
Possible in one of the suburbs with a large Vietnamese population, but it‘s a good 1 hr+ trip from home :(
I've never seen freshly grated coconut for sale in the States or even mature coconuts for grating. Perhaps Hawaii or Florida. The closest thing is frozen grated coconut from the Philippines.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've never seen freshly grated coconut for sale in the States or even mature coconuts for grating. Perhaps Hawaii or Florida. The closest thing is frozen grated coconut from the Philippines.
Yes, frozen grated coconut from Malaysia is available (at times - stock less reliable with Covid)

We are fortunate to have large SE Asian communities in Sydney and Melbourne. A far cry from the days when I first arrived in Sydney as a student.