PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I smoked a chuck roast (labeled pot roast by Costco) with the intent of deli slicing it for sammiches.

The roast was removed from the fridge, seasoned nicely with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and left on a rack on the counter for about 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

I set my smoker at 205 degrees fahrenheit and left it alone. According to my new Chef iQ thermometer the smoker was about 20 degrees cooler than what I set it at. The roast was removed when it reached 132 degrees and then wrapped in foil for 30 minutes where it reached an ultimate temperature of 139 degrees:

1000011107.jpg

1000011108.jpg

1000011060.jpg

1000011061.jpg

After thin slicing I put the meat in the fridge. 10 seconds on a plate in the microwave brought it to the perfect temperature for a sandwich:

1000011083.jpg

1000011084.jpg

1000011085.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the results. The texture is somewhat like Arby's roast beef but it was fattier. Arby's must do something like cook under pressure and/or a seasoning/brineing process maybe similar to how corned beef is done.

Future experimentation is schedule with an overnight dry brine and/or a paper wrap and high temperature akin to how brisket is done. I also plan the same for eye of round which was "beefier" in flavor and I liked the flavor of more.

I also plan on seeing which experiment will produce the best meat for a cheesesteak sammich.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I smoked a chuck roast (labeled pot roast by Costco) with the intent of deli slicing it for sammiches.

The roast was removed from the fridge, seasoned nicely with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and left on a rack on the counter for about 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

I set my smoker at 205 degrees fahrenheit and left it alone. According to my new Chef iQ thermometer the smoker was about 20 degrees cooler than what I set it at. The roast was removed when it reached 132 degrees and then wrapped in foil for 30 minutes where it reached an ultimate temperature of 139 degrees:

View attachment 306702

View attachment 306703

View attachment 306705

View attachment 306706

After thin slicing I put the meat in the fridge. 10 seconds on a plate in the microwave brought it to the perfect temperature for a sandwich:

View attachment 306707

View attachment 306708

View attachment 306709

Overall I'm very happy with the results. The texture is somewhat like Arby's roast beef but it was fattier. Arby's must do something like cook under pressure and/or a seasoning/brineing process maybe similar to how corned beef is done.

Future experimentation is schedule with an overnight dry brine and/or a paper wrap and high temperature akin to how brisket is done. I also plan the same for eye of round which was "beefier" in flavor and I liked the flavor of more.

I also plan on seeing which experiment will produce the best meat for a cheesesteak sammich.
Arby's actually uses a processed pressed beef. The the best cut for a proper sandwich roast beef is going to be top round. It's a very lean cut, so it needs to be cooked medium rare and thinly sliced. Chuck is much better (in my opinion) when cooked low and slow until all the fat and connective tissue melts and then "pulled" like a pork shoulder. I like to make a smoked Chuck roast chili.