PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe holding flame too close? You don’t need to touch flame to tobacco to get it hot enough to ignite.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Do you point the tip of the jet above the tobacco?
I suspect I had the jet too close to the rim and it wasnt the tip but further along the flame that did the damage,burnt the inner rim such that i will probably need to chamfer it to look better

i have gone back to my rollagas lighter for now until I master the Beattie

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Don't use Jet lighters at all.
They are for Cigars.
Get a soft flame lighter.
Personally I buy the Clipper refillable lighters.
I bought a box of a dozen and just refill them.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Practice first on pipes you don’t care about burning the rim. Such as inexpensive cobs & estate briar basket pipes.

Mac

Reactions: paulfg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It sounds like you are putting the flame in direct contact with the rim and leaving it there. I would suggest you aim the lighter a little above the tobacco and draw it into the tobacco,

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Beattie Jet lighters are great for scorching rims. they were more of a gimmick than anything else. I have a few but I don't use em anymore after a couple of scorched rims. I have soldered with one, works great for that. I'd get a modern soft flame pipe lighter and put the old Beattie Jet on a shelf.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Beattie Jet lighters are great for scorching rims. they were more of a gimmick than anything else. I have a few but I don't use em anymore after a couple of scorched rims. I have soldered with one, works great for that. I'd get a modern soft flame pipe lighter and put the old Beattie Jet on a shelf.
I like my rollagas but dont want to take it outside my house.I have thought of getting a pipemaster.I had an old boy but the filler valve has decided to leak .It would be difficult to ship it for repair so may have to buy something else or another old boy.
Incidently the Beattie works well if I keep the lighter away from the jet tube

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Unless you're holding the flame in direct contact with the rim for several seconds, you won't do any more damage than you would with a butane lighter.
Both the Beattie Jet lighters I have produce too large a flame when tipped and it spreads out to much. I don't have those problems with any of my other lighters. The Beatties are neat lighters but for me I'd rather just use a Zippo. Since most Beatties are at least 50 years old at this point it could be that some of them just have burnt/enlarged orifices' on the jet tube from use. I have heard others complain about the same thing with them while others swear by them. So it could be a case by case basis.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Finally found a video. Skip to 3:48.

thats interesting.I notice he is holding the lighter with the jet tube pointing downwards and gets a smallish flame.
I was trying with the lighter at about 45 degree which produces a long (maybe 1-2 flame)
that almost sounds like a butane lighter with the gas turned up a bit.a sort of whoosh sound.
When I move the lighter to the position shown in the video the flame is smaller but still larger than in the video.
Maybe as stated the orifice has got enlarged.
@Chasing Embers at what angle do you told you Beattie?
s-l1600 (3).png

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
having looked at the box for the lighter it seems I have been using it wrong.
when i studied the picture it shows the flame being shot straight into the bowl,I was holding the lighter to one side of the pipe and shooting it into the bowl thus scortching/burning the rim.
I hadnt studied the picture well enough and had seen the flame shown at 45 degrees but hadnt noticed the angle of the pipe
I suspect if used as shown in the video it will be fine.also on trying again the flame was definitely soft and shorter when held as shown in the video.

I put this down to user error
note to self dont tryout new lighters on good pipes
s-l1600 (8).png