PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My wife gave me a tin of SPC Plum Pudding Reserve for Christmas. I do have a couple of older sealed tins but i have not smoked it in a very long time. I have become mostly a virginia and
Vaper fan. Tonight it is cold and windy with snow squalls and i decided to load up a Dunhill shell 4111 lovat for my nightly walk with my beloved crabby abbey ( she is still hanging in there but has a big vet appt on Friday morning). Anyway, what a comforting and delicious smoke. Sweet, woody and incense filled. A perfect bowl on a cold night. Reminded me of how i came to love pipes and pipe smoking more than 40 years ago. Then it was Balkan Sobranie white and black, dunhill blends, peretti english and oriental blends and a fondly remembered blend called Punchestown (long gone and i wonder if anyone else remembers it). Took me back in time tonight and reminded me how great it is to enjoy the long arc of pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Safe passage for Crabby Abbey. If she can stay around a while, that's good, and if she can go in peace, so be it. It's a kindness when animals choose their own time without much suffering, but as a vet explained to me one time, that is not common.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My wife gave me a tin of SPC Plum Pudding Reserve for Christmas. I do have a couple of older sealed tins but i have not smoked it in a very long time. I have become mostly a virginia and
Vaper fan. Tonight it is cold and windy with snow squalls and i decided to load up a Dunhill shell 4111 lovat for my nightly walk with my beloved crabby abbey ( she is still hanging in there but has a big vet appt on Friday morning). Anyway, what a comforting and delicious smoke. Sweet, woody and incense filled. A perfect bowl on a cold night. Reminded me of how i came to love pipes and pipe smoking more than 40 years ago. Then it was Balkan Sobranie white and black, dunhill blends, peretti english and oriental blends and a fondly remembered blend called Punchestown (long gone and i wonder if anyone else remembers it). Took me back in time tonight and reminded me how great it is to enjoy the long arc of pipe smoking.
Hope the appt. went however is best! Our oldest dog is a Golden Retriever and he’ll be 16 on St. Patrick’s Day - way outlived his “expectancy” and every day he’s been with us has been a gift from above.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When my wife was recovering from one of a series of surgeries related to a hip replacement getting infected, I'd come home from a day with her at rehab and meals with her or on the fly and light up a pipe. It was a remarkable centering activity. I finally felt like I'd arrived somewhere and could hear my thoughts.

F

fMf Piper

Safe passage for Crabby Abbey. If she can stay around a while, that's good, and if she can go in peace, so be it. It's a kindness when animals choose their own time without much suffering, but as a vet explained to me one time, that is not common.
^^^Yes. Best wishes for you and Abbey, whatever the results of the vet appointment.

Reactions: kcghost and Merton

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Sounds like a magical late winter evening. I used to love walking the dog on a cold, dark night in Toronto. Here in NYC we've had no real winter at all this year.

Reactions: fMf Piper

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Thank you for the kind words. Today was a day of polar extremes. In the morning her vet told us that surgery could be done and would extend her life by, in all likelihood, 2 years. She the sent us immediately to a highly specialized veterinary hospital for the surgery. By nightfall they told us that she is not a candidate for surgery and so we have brought her home to be loved and spoiled until that moment which i cannot type...

• Sad
Reactions: fMf Piper
F

fMf Piper

Thank you for the kind words. Today was a day of polar extremes. In the morning her vet told us that surgery could be done and would extend her life by, in all likelihood, 2 years. She the sent us immediately to a highly specialized veterinary hospital for the surgery. By nightfall they told us that she is not a candidate for surgery and so we have brought her home to be loved and spoiled until that moment which i cannot type...
I am truly heartbroken for you. :cry: Unfortunately, at my age, I have experienced this more times than I care to admit, but I have always found this poem to be comforting...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."