PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I drove by a giant goodwill store we have locally and was thinking about donations and estate sales and the frightening thought hit me. How many pipe/cigar/tobacco collections have been thrown straight into the garbage by non smokers when they are left to sort through someone's things 😳? I'm sure most non smokers just see a stinky dirty old pipe and think who in the world is gonna want that when they could buy a new one?

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I drove by a giant goodwill store we have locally and was thinking about donations and estate sales and the frightening thought hit me. How many pipe/cigar/tobacco collections have been thrown straight into the garbage by non smokers when they are left to sort through someone's things 😳? I'm sure most non smokers just see a stinky dirty old pipe and think who in the world is gonna want that when they could buy a new one?
I don't doubt this for a second. Can't really blame the non-pipe crowd for not knowing the value. Can you imagine the grandpa who had a decades old tobacco cellar along with an assortment of Dunhill's and Castello's that just ended up in the trash because they didn't know or didn't want to deal with the hassle of it? Makes me wanna cry. 😢

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I don't doubt this for a second. Can't really blame the non-pipe crowd for not knowing the value. Can you imagine the grandpa who had a decades old tobacco cellar along with an assortment of Dunhill's and Castello's that just ended up in the trash because they didn't know or didn't want to deal with the hassle of it? Makes me wanna cry. 😢
Exactly

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I thought the very same before I came here. Lots of used briar pipes for sale on eBay, going cheap. Perfect for me but I thought "Bah. Who wants some saliva soaked and nibbled off disgusting old pipe?"
Then I saw many people here happily buying and restoring them with simple tools but great results, and happily smoking them.

Even a rookie pipe smoker might dump them because he's just not that well informed.

Reactions: timelord

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Probably not as much as you think. Someone who bought nice pipes and cared for them also would realize their value.
Yes but if they were to die and others were left to get rid of their belongings. The wife who always hated that he smoked in the first place and just throws it away. The kids who want nothing to do with "that stinky old stuff where is his jewelry at" lol

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes but if they were to die and others were left to get rid of their belongings. The wife who always hated that he smoked in the first place and just throws it away. The kids who want nothing to do with "that stinky old stuff where is his jewelry at" lol
Yeah, that may happen with some. My Son has an idea of what my collection is worth, no way he throws them away. I also think most people who thought there was value would forget their emotions and go for the money.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I love finding estate pipes at Flea markets and the such, but I cringe at the thought of how many Pipes and Tobaccy stashes have been trashed....😢

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

There are variants of this thread on every hobby forum I know of. Cars, guitars, straight razors, LPs, bikes... All things we value way more than the people who will have to deal with our shit do. Enjoy it while you can... ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Valuables in general are prone to getting misplaced and trashed as houses are culled and estates are settled. With pipes or any valuable, just leave an envelope with three or four alternate options for settling them in an estate. Various professionals like pipe stud (spell check won't let me write that correctly as one word) and several others that could sell the pipes and tobacco on commission, would do it. Maybe a savvy pipe smoking friend as an alternative. Let your spouse or other trusted family member about this envelope or several of them, more than once.

A thousand or two would go a ways toward paying for a memorial service lunch, payback after the event. Enough money gets fleeced away in taxes, by unscrupulous movers and cleaners, and so forth. No need to squander what can be saved. Same for any collection of stamps, coins, firearms, art, and so on.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
My dad's father was a lifelong pipe smoker. I was touring overseas when he died and had to miss the funeral because it just wasn't practical for me to get out of my contract and fly to British Colombia from wherever I was in Europe at the time. I wasn't a pipe smoker in those days, but when I took up pipe smoking I asked my dad about grandpa's pipes. My grandfather was a classy dude. The kind of guy who wore an ascot to go to the grocery store. Very old-school British. I imagine he probably had a collection of high-end mid-century briars. When I took up the pipe I asked my dad, "hey, grandpa must have had some pipes."
He said, "Yeah I'm pretty sure he had a collection of them."
"So where are they? You must have them?"
He said, "oh, I don't know where they are."
I was like, "What do you mean you don't know?"
"Well they're gone."
"What do you mean gone?"
"The insurance company took care of all that."
🤦‍♂️
I wasn't a pipe smoker when he died but I was a cigar smoker, and I sure as hell would have held on to those pipes. I wonder if they're in a landfill somewhere, or if they actually got auctioned off and somehow ended up in a good home. Oh well. I can look forward to inheriting my dad's 2 Grabows with the plastic stems one day.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
There are variants of this thread on every hobby forum I know of. Cars, guitars, straight razors, LPs, bikes... All things we value way more than the people who will have to deal with our shit do. Enjoy it while you can... ;)
All these other things obviously would be recognized to have value I believe to the average person. Yes people will sell these other items for probley 1/10 of what they are worth out of convenience just to get rid of them.

If I was to die tomorrow my wife would have no idea whatsoever how much all my stuff from a variety of hobbies is worth. She knows all of it has value but probably wouodnt research anything to get a fair price for it. I know my pipes/cigars/tobacco would be the first thing she throws away. She cant stand the smell of it.

Since pipes/pipe smoking has been on a decline for years i would think they would be easily overlooked and dismissed.

Reactions: UncleRasta