PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m sorry to have to post this warning but things have changed at SP for those ordering from outside the USA. Smoking Pipes now makes no effort to cover the contents of the packaging and it’s very unlikely your tobacco will make it through Customs. In the last two months I put in six orders, all within a short period of time and five of the six has been stopped and ludicrous duty imposed on the tobacco. Four tins of MacBaren costing £60 had a £124 duty added on, two tins of Midsommer that cost under $30 had £72 added on and the other duty’s were for similar amounts. It’s now virtually impossible for anything to make it through and I’ve heard from a friend that pipes are also being stopped and massive duty added to make it very unprofitable to purchase from SP anymore.
It’s a very sad time for me because SP has been my go to for three years and during that time I had only one package stopped by UK Customs and that was the very first order I placed, everything after that made it through without difficulty and even with the cheapest untracked postage made it safely to the UK in a consistent eleven days but since the recent change in labelling nothing is getting past those greedy bastards in Customs. The charges seem arbitrary, numbers plucked out of the air by whoever grabs them upon entry into the UK, there’s no formula to it and it seems more like punishment than a desire to tax your tobacco.
I’m informing everyone so that you know what to expect if you place an order from them now. The golden days are over.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I had one order stopped recently, it was the first time after about 20 or so orders. I had one make it through since, and another two small orders pending. Won't be ordering anymore then. Shame, why have SP changed their labelling? The way they were doing it before was legal, and most stuff got through, why fix what isn't broke? Ah stuff it, most of the stuff I like is from here anyway. Still, damn shame.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Is it possible that smoking pipes could change their labeling if you contact them? I don’t think that sounds unreasonable.
I have contacted them about it several times and they said nothing has changed in the process, I don’t want to say anything on a public forum that could cause trouble for them but I think they might have been told by the authorities to make sure the contents are not covered by the postage label. I could be wrong about that of course but I’m not wrong about the contents being listed and Customs jumping on it.
They have to follow the laws and I totally understand that and in no way expect preferential treatment, I just want to give a heads up to anyone here thinking of putting in a order. In SP’s favour they have said they will refund me when the packages are returned to them and I very much appreciate that although I wasn’t told about changes in the process.

Reactions: Hutch Piper

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I’m sorry to have to post this warning but things have changed at SP for those ordering from outside the USA. Smoking Pipes now makes no effort to cover the contents of the packaging and it’s very unlikely your tobacco will make it through Customs. In the last two months I put in six orders, all within a short period of time and five of the six has been stopped and ludicrous duty imposed on the tobacco. Four tins of MacBaren costing £60 had a £124 duty added on, two tins of Midsommer that cost under $30 had £72 added on and the other duty’s were for similar amounts. It’s now virtually impossible for anything to make it through and I’ve heard from a friend that pipes are also being stopped and massive duty added to make it very unprofitable to purchase from SP anymore.
It’s a very sad time for me because SP has been my go to for three years and during that time I had only one package stopped by UK Customs and that was the very first order I placed, everything after that made it through without difficulty and even with the cheapest untracked postage made it safely to the UK in a consistent eleven days but since the recent change in labelling nothing is getting past those greedy bastards in Customs. The charges seem arbitrary, numbers plucked out of the air by whoever grabs them upon entry into the UK, there’s no formula to it and it seems more like punishment than a desire to tax your tobacco.
I’m informing everyone so that you know what to expect if you place an order from them now. The golden days are over.
The duty for cigarettes and cigars is a lot more than for pipe tobacco. I got hit with an 80 quid custom charge for two tins and two ounces of loose tobacco. I worked out that what they had done, they charged me the amount payable were it rolling tobacco or cigarettes, and I suspect that is what they have done to you too.

The only problem is, the only way this can be appealed, is to pay the charge, then present evidence (invoices etc), that proves you have been charged incorrectly, and if they find in your favour, they will refund you. As I worked it out at the time, the correct charge should have been 32 quid (so still doable, not saving anything, but you have access to the American market, but just pay the prices you would here). But then you're still at the mercy of some bureaucrat who might just say, 'nay, fuck him, don't believe it, no refund'. If any of the two orders I have coming get snagged (which now seems a certainty), I will pay what is asked, then appeal it in the way described. See what happens, if they are reasonable, all is not lost.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The duty for cigarettes and cigars is a lot more than for pipe tobacco. I got hit with an 80 quid custom charge for two tins and two ounces of loose tobacco. I worked out that what they had done, they charged me the amount payable were it rolling tobacco or cigarettes, and I suspect that is what they have done to you too.

The only problem is, the only way this can be appealed, is to pay the charge, then present evidence (invoices etc), that proves you have been charged incorrectly, and if they find in your favour, they will refund you. As I worked it out at the time, the correct charge should have been 32 quid (so still doable, not saving anything, but you have access to the American market, but just pay the prices you would here). But then you're still at the mercy of some bureaucrat who might just say, 'nay, fuck him, don't believe it, no refund'. If any of the two orders I have coming get snagged (which now seems a certainty), I will pay what is asked, then appeal it in the way described. See what happens, if they are reasonable, all is not lost.
I have the forms to get that type of refund but I think tobacco is exempt from it. I did pay the charges for two of them but it took the average price up to about £30 for 50g of tobacco. I don’t think they give a toss whether it’s for a pipe or roll up really, they just seem to get a kick out of kicking people 😬

Fortunately there’s still Estervals and I have a good friend that’ll send me US tobacco when I need it and bypass the bureaucracy.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I have the forms to get that type of refund but I think tobacco is exempt from it. I did pay the charges for two of them but it took the average price up to about £30 for 50g of tobacco. I don’t think they give a toss whether it’s for a pipe or roll up really, they just seem to get a kick out of kicking people 😬

Fortunately there’s still Estervals and I have a good friend that’ll send me US tobacco when I need it and bypass the bureaucracy.
I don't think tobacco is exempt. Like, they do have seperate charges for different types of tobacco. Therefore, mistakes can potentially happen. And if you or I claim a mistake has happened, they surely couldn't, in any logical universe, knock us back on the grounds that mistakes on tobacco can't be appealed. Then again I suppose stranger things have happened.

But yeah, Estervals. I only discovered them recently, and they're pucca. They have a better line than SP anyway. But how long that will last, nobody knows.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I don't think tobacco is exempt. Like, they do have seperate charges for different types of tobacco. Therefore, mistakes can potentially happen. And if you or I claim a mistake has happened, they surely couldn't, in any logical universe, knock us back on the grounds that mistakes on tobacco can't be appealed. Then again I suppose stranger things have happened.

But yeah, Estervals. I only discovered them recently, and they're pucca. They have a better line than SP anyway. But how long that will last, nobody knows.
At least the listings on their package’s are in German so Customs can’t read them. Trouble with the forms is that after paying £124 for four tins they can still tell you to get screwed.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Never tried SP Ireland?

Or Ireland no longer considered a part of Europe?
No Eire is a part of the EU still but I’ve never even seen that site. Everything at SP was fine until recently so I never had to look elsewhere but I’ll check it out. That must have been what @Chasing Embers was talking about.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Status
Not open for further replies.