PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
So I was in this antique store today with the wife, looking for a new dining table suitable for the duplex half we are fixing to move in later this month (hopefully) and I came across this case. My long friend and antique dealer, who usually doesn't deal in tabacina, bought this wholesale with a bunch of other stuff. I picked up a ronson vintage that I am restoring as we speak, a no name (well it does say "major pipes" on it and "imported briar" oppsoite) bulldog, a GBD, a Chacome - all restoration projects, a vintage cigar v cutter, a cigarette holder, and a crystal double pipe stand, all which my friend was kind enough to offer for free on the account of all the other furniture we bought.

The daily pipe set caught my eye, although they seemed cheaply made .. they all had that metal filter insert similar to what the Murray brand uses (I believe I have labeled this brand as the Brirish Dr. Grabow in the past).

Oh, don't bother asking about meers, most cases were empty. The rodesian had a broken tenon, and another one that is not visible in the pics was very beaten up. The opium pipe is interesting though, and the early falcon ..

I will post pictures with the restorations as they come along. This really lit up the passion once more. Since the little lady is pregnant (5 months now) there was no more pipe smoking inside the house. So yeah ... I haven't had a decent bowl since February this year. I am trying to look on the bright side .. the cellar ia getting better with each passing day of me not hitting on it, but the itch is there .. :)

Attachments

• 20220727_100716.jpg
    20220727_100716.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220727_100719.jpg
    20220727_100719.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220727_100800.jpg
    20220727_100800.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220727_100800.jpg
    20220727_100800.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 75

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I thought Accidenta was a brand of pipe! Those look great.
It was a typo, in fact I wanted to write accidental. The bulldog has the word "major" inscripted on it. It's a solid piece. The one on the right is a GBD, with an interesting stinger too for that matter, and the one laying on the desk is a Chacom.

Thank you all for the kind words regarding the child. Once we move I will have a small basement available, with entry from the patio and where smoking will be permited. Perhaps I will manage to get refuge there after the little one falls asleep every day. Last night, after all the work on the pipes, I couldn't resist the temptation and lit a bowl of kentuky bird in a small meer. Since it was an aromatic I didn't get too much hell ..

Reactions: UncleRasta

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Looks like a huge Meerschaum in the first photo, upper right corner. Glad you're having fun with it and all the best to you and yours!

Reactions: madox07

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Congratulations to the baby.

I stopped smoking indoors around 1990 when our then 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with allergies and asthma. I find sitting on the small porch or under the shade of a tree to be good smoking spots.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I thought Accidenta was a brand of pipe! Those look great.
This reminds me of an episode of AMERICAN PICKERS. One of the "stars" of the show was looking at something (I don't remember what) and he mentioned the name of the maker was "ROSTFREI". I couldn't help but laugh. Here we have a popular TV series with the star being a supposedly expert and he thinks ROSTFREI is a band name. It means "stainless" as in stainless steel, in German.

Not to be too smug, for a moment I though Accidenta might mean like acident or a "second" grade in Italian. I snapped to it before I started looking it up. puffy