Advice on my new pipe (and potentially PAD)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Hey guys.

So I only started smoking a pipe a little over a year ago when I bought my first one. That one pipe was my only pipe for quite awhile, until about 3 months ago when I started buying some antique pipes and fixing them up (ok so I may have gotten about 20 in a month....PAD?!....I dont know you decide)

Anyways, I made the decision a few weeks back to sell a bunch of pipes that I had fixed up to hopefully make a profit and save up for a nicer pipe that could be the centerpiece of my collection. Well, I must say that I did quite well because I made a decent chunk of money on the good ole ebay.
Anyways, here is my question. I am wanting to buy a decent mid range pipe (+or-$80 or so). I want something that has a reputation for being a good pipe, however I dont need anything that is a "big name" pipe brand. I have a lot of shapes and sizes, but I am slowly finding that I tend to prefer the shorter pipes with wide bowls (or the really cool and crazy free hands...but those tend to be a few hundred dollars out of my price range). Does anyone have any good pipes in mind that I should check out and maybe buy? Or, if nothing else, advice on where to look or what to look for?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
hi bbauer
If I had the funds, I'd be adding a Karl Erik freehand to my collection.
He's made so many phenomenal looking freehands over the years, I've seen them on Ebay as estate pipes many times., you may have too.
At that link you'll see, P&C has some unsmoked new ones pretty close to your price range.
Hope that helps

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
For what its worth I love my rusticated Peterson 306 for a reasonable price and it may appeal to your interest in interesting looking pipes.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@bbaur
Hey mate, a member made a post on the forum here about 2 weeks ago, there were new freehands that resembles Nordings. They were only 50.00 new and were great looking. I cannot remember the name of the company but if the member sees this thread maybe he will re-post the name. I was going to get one but had several in the mail on route at that time. Just hang in there and keep checking your thread.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
The Peterson Donegal (rustic) and Aran (matte smooth) lines are in your price range. All sorts of shapes to choose from, fishtail or p-lip if you want. If you're set on a freehand, Nording makes freehands around your budget as well. I've found cupojoes.com seems to have a wide selection on those.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
First of all, bbauer, congratulations on the benefits of your hard work!
The pipes mentioned are all good pipes. But in my opinion they're not really "centerpieces". I get the impression you're looking for something unique.
My advice is to hold off buying anything for now. Maybe do some more flipping on ebay, and when you have the money for the pipe you REALLY want, then pull the trigger.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 on Bigvan
Now, if you're looking for a short, squat, wide bowl pipe, I would look for the Savinelli 320 shape, especially in KS or EX. The bowl diameter on that is .88 in. with a depth of 1.32 in. It's like a squat tomato/apple kinda shape.
They come in many different finishes, some as cheap as $60, which would leave you some room for tobacco.
Here's one I like
oscr320.jpg

Can't give you much advice on the freehand, but I'd trust Zanthal.. I know he loves them ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.