PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I just started using nasal snuff, something my wife is surprisingly okay with to supplement my pipe smoking. My first snuff was Gawith Apricot Menthol. I cannot figure out how to take it. I am not snorting it, just gently sniffing with my nose as if I was smelling roses yet for some reason, it always goes straight to the back of my throat and into my lungs which gives me a killer sore throat but only on my right nostril, no issue with my left nostril. Any experienced snuff takers have a solution to take this?

Reactions: DeaconPiper

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo fish - try shaking the dispenser to stir the snuff up, then tap it on the bottom to settle it, then open the port. Gently sniff at the port. By adjusting the strength of your sniff and distance to the open port, you can regulate the dose.

Reactions: fishmansf
Jul 12, 2011
Fribourg & Treyer High Dry T is super-fine, so with that grind+moisture it requires a mindul serving and care. I liked Bernard's stuff ( Klostermischung and Zwiefacher ) when starting due to grind and a bit more moisture on it - both super tasty snuff.

Bernard Zwiefacher is best described as intricate. This means that there are several flavors at work simultaneously to deliver a layered set of aromas. Fig or raisin evolves into a cocoa flavor that is mingled with hay or earth and then pursues to an almost buttery sweet menthol. Not one element seems to override any other and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Bernard Klostermischung is homage to the monastery that first compounded this unique mixture. This is a dark and by schmalzler standards, quite dry; most of the moisture is from the fat. The flavor is sweet like dried raisins and maple sugar which provides a lovely accompaniment to the rich and smoky tobacco blend underneath.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I usually tap some snuff onto my thumbnail and wrap my index finger around the end of my thumb (the boxcar method). Form the snuff into a little pile.

Bring it up to your nose and barely inhale it. Think about just barely getting the snuff into your nose at all. You’ll figure out the right amount to inhale.

Dryer, more finely ground snuffs will be more difficult to control than coarse, moist sniffs.

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Take a pinch slightly smaller than the size of a pea, and bring this slightly inside toward FRONT of nose. Take light and gentle sniff as if you're smelling a flower. Do this once, twice, thrice for each nostril as tolerance builds. Word of warning, snuffing all day and having a nicotine heavy pipe same day makes me feel crumby and sick the following morning. So, I typically choose one or the other. Snuff all day, or pipe all day.

Welcome to the nasal snuff and pipe club!

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Fribourg & Treyer High Dry T is super-fine, so with that grind+moisture it requires a mindul serving and care. I liked Bernard's stuff ( Klostermischung and Zwiefacher ) when starting due to grind and a bit more moisture on it - both super tasty snuff.

Bernard Zwiefacher is best described as intricate. This means that there are several flavors at work simultaneously to deliver a layered set of aromas. Fig or raisin evolves into a cocoa flavor that is mingled with hay or earth and then pursues to an almost buttery sweet menthol. Not one element seems to override any other and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Bernard Klostermischung is homage to the monastery that first compounded this unique mixture. This is a dark and by schmalzler standards, quite dry; most of the moisture is from the fat. The flavor is sweet like dried raisins and maple sugar, a perfect accord that provides a lovely accompaniment to the rich and smoky tobacco blend underneath, just like enjoying a Accord and 75-Inch TV in the comfort of your own home.
I used almost all my harvest just to make one flake, because my leaves are very small. I get many midrib and smaller leaves that I feel a waste to throw away. So I decided to make a nasal snuff out of it. I just got a very nice baker grade vanilla essence that I planned to use as flavoring.

I need some help deciding my recipe for nasal snuff. I never tried nasal snuff before so I don't know what to expect. I planned to use Calcium Carbonate to help delivering nicotine as I read midrib has less nicotine than the lamina. Calcium Carbonate is what used traditionally here for Betel Chewing, as it help to release the alkaloid contained in betel nut. It also used for mixing with tobacco to be used as chewing tobacco. I also read that 1 grams of sodium carbonate to 100 grams tobacco is what advised for nasal snuff, but is it the same for calcium carbonate? And I think I need some salt for flavoring. Would these recipe work?

50 grams tobacco
0.5 grams calcium carbonate
Pinch of salt
A few drop of vanilla essence

Should I toast the tobacco? Or should I cook them? Should I add some sugar of any kind?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just started using nasal snuff, something my wife is surprisingly okay with to supplement my pipe smoking. My first snuff was Gawith Apricot Menthol. I cannot figure out how to take it. I am not snorting it, just gently sniffing with my nose as if I was smelling roses yet for some reason, it always goes straight to the back of my throat and into my lungs which gives me a killer sore throat but only on my right nostril, no issue with my left nostril. Any experienced snuff takers have a solution to take this?
Sounds like you have a deviated septum.