PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
This may be a dumb question, but do any stem makers in North America make p-lips? I only ask because I emailed Mike at Walker Pipe Repair, and he said he could only do fishtail stems. Perhaps they'd be prohibitively expensive, but I would be interested to know regardless.

Reactions: afitz71

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not in Nth Smerica, but site sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop does.

Even though they are in Europe, turnaround time, cost and shipping are reasonable.
You should email them for a quote.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure if Smoking Pipes will do it for pipes that were not purchased from them. But I know they were willing to make new stem for one of my Peterson P-lip pipes. It was to replace one of my misshapen Peterson stem. I didn't go with it since they won't put that metal "P" in the stem.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Not sure if Smoking Pipes will do it for pipes that were not purchased from them. But I know they were willing to make new stem for one of my Peterson P-lip pipes. It was to replace one of my misshapen Peterson stem. I didn't go with it since they won't put that metal "P" in the stem.
Strange that they wouldn't do that for you. I did email Laudisi because Peterson told me to (given that I'm in Canada), but they said $75 and no 9mm filter.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Not in Nth Smerica, but site sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop does.

Even though they are in Europe, turnaround time, cost and shipping are reasonable.
You should email them for a quote.
They do custom stems there? I knew they occasionally had replacement Pete stems, but if they did custom work I'd check it out.

Again not in US but Ian walker at Northern Briars does

or of course you could send it to Peterson but I believe turn around time is slow
I'll keep him in mind. I heard Peterson is 3 months, which is a bit longer than I was hoping. Mind you, I'm not sending away anything yet anyway, just trying to gather up options currently

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
They do custom stems there? I knew they occasionally had replacement Pete stems, but if they did custom work I'd check it out.
Not sure if the Pete stems are replacement or custom.

But they do custom stems. I had an old Stanwell re-stemmed by them. Excellent job. And you can specify vulcanite or acrylic.

Reactions: jiminy

afitz71

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Cork Ireland
Contact Petersons in Dublin Ireland they will direct you to a great service,by chatting to them you will get the exact stem you want.I have had stem replacement jobs done by them in the past,if there is a slow turn around time it will be well worth the wait.