PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
IMG_1374.jpegAged Stonehaven that I thought was molded… I put it out in the sun and could see crystals everywhere. I’m still a little iffy about it because, when not in the sunlight, it just looks like white streaks of that which shall not be named. In terms of the smell test, it’s hard to say. The Esoterica scent is so strong in the tin that its pungency confuses my nostrils. I’ve read some of the posts here that note Esoterica flakes can and do crystallize like crazy when aged. So it makes sense. But I really did almost throw it out! IMG_1382.jpegIMG_1376.jpeg

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Well, smoking a bit of it might be the arbiter. Either it will make you boak, or it will be the finest unicorn you have ever smoked, in the sad knowledge that it's not repeatable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When in doubt, throw it out. But making a determination based on photos is not really reliable.

When I see sparkles that run through a flake like a strata in a rock I'm pretty comfortable that it's plume, or mineral deposits that have traveled to the surface of the flake, and not an issue. If it looks like Santa's beard, cotton blobs, or a cobweb, out in the trash it goes.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Dang, I would have loved to examine this under my stereo scope, but saw this thread too late. I think this might be a case of both micro-crystalline deposits AND mold, but would have to examine under the microscope where mold structures are easy to identify. Micro-crystalline deposits are very common on aged Stonehaven and can often look nefarious when they are not. But the bad smell you report leads me to believe both.

Edit: Forgot to say - Old Stonehaven, Hampton, and RDF can have a bit of "barnyard" funk to them on the jar. Some might perceive this as negative, but this note is not that of mold. Mold will smell like if a laundry load sat too long before being put in the dryer or worse. There are good funks and bad funks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: anotherbob