PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Light pollution is a real limitation for us town dwellers. Good street lights cancel about half the Milky Way. Coming in for a landing on a flight to Chicago really illustrates the point, with the aura of city lights reaching up to about 30,000 feet. Saw a pretty good array on a dark night on eastern Long Island, when the winery cat came up and caressed my trouser cuff. I'd like a moderately cool night on the desert for a real look-see.
Yeah, the light dome over most cities has grown enormously over the years. Depressing.

Our club was out at the local observatory years ago and were letting some folks who were in town visiting from NYC look through our scopes and showing them the constellations etc. One guy was almost speechless looking at the summer Milky Way naked eye. It was the first time he’d seen it. He called a friend back in the city and was trying to describe it. He was completely blown away. I love those moments.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I’ve been really drawn lately to Saturn and it’s amazing North Pole. But, I’d have to agree with Mimas, mostly because it looks like the Death Star. It will be fascinating when they send that underwater drone to Europa though. Nebula’s is a hard one because they’re all so beautiful but, I do love the Eagle and Helix.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I always recommend first learning some of the constellations. It's like learning the streets in town. Hard to get around without knowing them. A planisphere is a handy way to do that. It's essentially a map of the constellations where you dial in the date and time and it depicts the currently visible constellations.

I'd recommend "The Miller Planisphere". I've used one for many, many years. Get the large one, the small one is too small. You'll need to get one for your latitude range. David Chandler's "The Night Sky" planisphere is another good one. Both are available from many sources and prices vary widely.

There are many apps for phones and tablets to identify constellations in realtime. While extremely handy they have the disadvantage of impairing your dark adaptation. Not a problem at an urban location but a big problem at a dark site.

A good starter book is "Turn Left at Orion".
Turn Left At Orion

Another good one is "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide"
The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

For websites check out
"Sky and Telescope"

and

"Astronomy Magazine"

Both have great info on current celestial events as well as things to look at for the upcoming month.

The Astronomical League is an association of astronomy clubs. They have a ton of great info on their site.
Check out their "Observing Programs". These are groups of objects to track down and observe. They cover everything from the moon, double stars, deep sky, you name it. The programs are arranged by level of experience and type of equipment. I'd highly recommend trying one out, especially one of the binocular programs.

"Observing Programs"

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Ren

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If anyone's favorite planet isn't Earth I'm worry about you. It's the only livable planet we have in the solar system. Yeah, I know the moons of Saturn we can terraform in a few hundred years. Give me a break,

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If anyone's favorite planet isn't Earth I'm worry about you. It's the only livable planet we have in the solar system. Yeah, I know the moons of Saturn we can terraform in a few hundred years. Give me a break,
You mean your favorite woman is your wife! I worry about you! ?

Yes, honey, I am kidding, totally kidding (she hears and sees all, lol) - big talk sitting here in my garage! ?

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
Loved astronomy since I saw Star Wars as a kid. I own a Skywatcher 80ED, an Explore Scientific iEXOS-100-2 PMC-Eight Equatorial mount, plus various other bits and pieces to go with it. I'm a monthly donator to the International Dark Sky Association and a member of the Munich astronomy club (Bayerische Volkssternwarte München e.V.).

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I always recommend first learning some of the constellations. It's like learning the streets in town. Hard to get around without knowing them. A planisphere is a handy way to do that. It's essentially a map of the constellations where you dial in the date and time and it depicts the currently visible constellations.

I'd recommend "The Miller Planisphere". I've used one for many, many years. Get the large one, the small one is too small. You'll need to get one for your latitude range. David Chandler's "The Night Sky" planisphere is another good one. Both are available from many sources and prices vary widely.

There are many apps for phones and tablets to identify constellations in realtime. While extremely handy they have the disadvantage of impairing your dark adaptation. Not a problem at an urban location but a big problem at a dark site.

A good starter book is "Turn Left at Orion".
Turn Left At Orion

Another good one is "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide"
The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

For websites check out
"Sky and Telescope"

and

"Astronomy Magazine"

Both have great info on current celestial events as well as things to look at for the upcoming month.

The Astronomical League is an association of astronomy clubs. They have a ton of great info on their site.
Check out their "Observing Programs". These are groups of objects to track down and observe. They cover everything from the moon, double stars, deep sky, you name it. The programs are arranged by level of experience and type of equipment. I'd highly recommend trying one out, especially one of the binocular programs.

"Observing Programs"

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Ren
Thanks, Ren! These are great recommendations. I think I may even have a couple of them, but I'll be investing in a planisphere!

Reactions: dunnyboy

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Some of my best memories of the five years I lived in Arizona involve being out in the desert under Bortle 2 skies, looking at the summer Milky Way in shorts and a tee shirt, all the while puffing on a nice Va or VaPer. Ugh...now I miss Southern AZ yet again. SW Ohio is a pretty nice place, but there's just something about the desert and the dark, clear skies down there...
We live in a light restricted community near the Whipple observatory in SoAZ. The night sky is beautiful. We’ve gone to a few Star Parties there over the years. We love sitting in the hot tub at night watching the stars and satellites overhead.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Thanks, Ren! These are great recommendations. I think I may even have a couple of them, but I'll be investing in a planisphere!
I have a Miller Planisphere that I use. It's great. Large, plastic coated, easy to read.
Like Ren said, make sure you get the correct one for your latitude.

Here's a link to the one I use.

H

Hfinn

One of the amusements available to an astronomy lover is to show to girl the starry sky. For this you need only the sky and a girl. And to know a few bright stars and constellations visible in the sky these days. With one hand, the girl is taken by the waist, while the direction is indicated with the other. This pastime is all the more interesting because, according to the laws of physics, starry nights are simultaneously cold, which is why the girl freezes and clings in search of warmth ?