PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MinnesotaNice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2023
Minnesota
I've never left a pipe unsmoked. Just curious if you have a meer carved so perfect or perfect to you that you have left it unsmoked? There are some truely amazing master pipe makers/ carvers out there. Mostly referring to figural carvings, not standard shapes.

Reactions: Lucashly

MinnesotaNice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2023
Minnesota
That master carver A. Karahan and same Yaniks are insanely nice. Yanik worries me with all the bad drilling comments. I really enjoy a lot of kenans too. Seems like better prices on some really amazing pieces with Kenan

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have quite a few meers, and they all get smoked...some consistently, others occasionally.

Only 3 of them are in the "amazing carving" category...all Yaniks...and they too get smoked...one of them consistently, the other two occasionally.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
These pipes are made for smoking, and that’s just what they’ll do, one of the days the pipes are going to smoke all over you! 🎵🎶

Boy, I really need to start hanging out with people my own age. It’s basically just me and my 6 year old daughter, so everything comes out in either song or rhyme.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any pipes I keep as works of art, though I think that is a worthy collection whether a person smokes or not. My several unsmoked pipes are oddments that I've been given. One is a pipe cobbled together from scrap lumber and tin cans that is the picture of under-resourced effort, and another is a tiny clay pipe with a screen in the chamber probably for smoking non-tobacco herbs. Otherwise, if I have them, I smoke them, more or less.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I consider pipes as tools so, no, I don't buy pipes to simply look at. Same with cars, screwdrivers, catsup, chainsaws and so forth. But, art is in the eye of the beholder, I've heard tell. I will admit to the looks and feel of a pipe as two of the determining factors in purchasing but, I consider, shape, feel and fittings as factors for a satisfactory smoking experience.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
What a beautiful pipe!
Thank you.

And this is one of those strange synchronicities...I happen to be smoking it again right now, prior to seeing your comment...and this is the first time I've smoked it since my previous comment on Jul 1st that you replied to.

• Wow
Reactions: JC4life and Elric

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
Thank you.

And this is one of those strange synchronicities...I happen to be smoking it again right now, prior to seeing your comment...and this is the first time I've smoked it since my previous comment on Jul 1st that you replied to.
How strange Brian! I'm distinctly at the budget end of my meerschaum jeorney. The only way I could get a block was by following the very helpful advice from a member to try a falcon with a block meer bowl. I've just very much enjoyed some petersons Irish flake in it. Although it's past my bedtime I'm watching some really weird low cloud cover out my loft window (looking up comes with the territory, especially now) and am debating with myself weather or not to have another of a different blend. Meer really has turned it up a notch as was suggested.

Reactions: brian64