Amazing PAD - 1939 Parker Super Briar Bark - Unsmoked, New In Box !

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What an amazing find, box, paper tag and innertube. It is hard to believe that was in someones drawer for 75 years. I vote for smoking it!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
-- it's still a mystery to me though, exactly how both companies were related or worked together.
Not much of a mystery, it says right here

n 1922 the Parker Pipe Co Limited was formed by Alfred Dunhill to finish and market what Dunhill called its "failings" or what has come to be called by collectors as seconds.

May 31, 2012
It also says,

right here
While the timing and exact nature of the early relationship between Dunhill and Parker remains a bit of mystery...
Like,

was Parker located at a separate factory or were they done in-house at Dunhill?

...at the 1935-built Forest Road, Walthamstow, London factory?
The Parker Notting Hill address is easier to connect with Dunhill, but that factory was closed in 1946.
At what point did Parker production go to the St. Andrews Road factory?
Parker was never marketed by Dunhill, as far as I know, so they wouldn't exactly be seconds the way we think of them --- Comoy, Sasieni, GBD etc all mentioned their secondary lines in their literature, Dunhill never mentioned Parker, they were more of a standalone brand with the distinction of using the Dunhill fallings --- but as John Loring pointed out:

...that while he has seen several pre-war Parkers and some from the 1950s that appear to be Dunhill "fallings" during the finishing process, briar was also obtained from sources other than Dunhill. Loring knows of no way to distinguish the briar source when looking at either Hardcastle, Parker, or Parker-Hardcastle pipes. And that aside from a very few Parkers from the 1950s and before, and a few ODA shapes, we should not expect to find any actual Dunhill production in these lines. While one might be there, it is doubtful we will ever be able to determine it.
It's all a bit foggy.

May 31, 2012
...I was thinking, and I'll add this, it's my feeling that Parker was more of an independent company and the oft quoted "Dunhill 2nd" relationship is over-exaggerated...
...another thing is that Parker had a totally different shape numbering system, but yes, the shapes do actually line up with Dunhill, look at a 63 vs. a 40 --- but with what we normally associate with a 2nd it's usually obvious who the actual maker was, like on the much varied Comoy's 2nds and how the distinct font and universal stamps give it away...
...on my pipe I don't think it was oil cured, so it probably missed most of the manufacturing steps involved with Dunhill --- the oil-curing process I think enhanced the blast depths and especially in the pre-war era this is most noticeable, my pipe actually has a rather shallow blast, it might even not be Algerian wood.
2nds were also often marketed with "made by the makers of..." to give them more appeal:

Wrd35AZ.jpg

yPzwOzV.jpg

1tQiMHM.jpg

11ssNvf.jpg

ifhXTWe.jpg

Ddy7pnb.jpg

...both Savory's and Tally Ho said "distributed by Alfred Dunhill", did Parker ever get that treatment?

I dunno, but I haven't seen anything.

EGu4URZ.jpg

x5Ph20i.jpg

Yhk0CXx.jpg

...I'm unsure of the manufacturing relationship with either of these, but I've always thought that Savory's was a Parker 2nd?

Tally Ho is still totally under the radar in most cases, and they can be found for a real bargain, they have the pat. stampings and come with the Dunhill innertube too.
The Parker innertube is totally different.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great pipe Troy! A real piece of history from a time when we were still known as Great Britain or GB rather than The United Kingdom, which is a very different thing. I wonder what the do-gooders of today would make of the admonition to 'smoke as strong a mixture as you can'!
Andy

May 31, 2012
Thanks Andy!
GB indeed...

...back when a Bentley boy would strike his Swan Vesta with much confident aplomb!

:P

Jolly decent pipe lighting skillz!

Russell-Brockbank-Cartoons-Punch-1956-02-15-222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.