PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
Is it possible to determine if a stem is made from solid amber or amberoid without damaging the stem?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it possible to determine if a stem is made from solid amber or amberoid without damaging the stem?
"All you have to do is mix two cups of warm water with a quarter cup of salt in a bowl, then stir the mixture until the salt has completely dissolved. Once you have done this, place the piece of amber in the solution. If the piece of amber floats then it is indeed authentic amber."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know much about these materials. Is amberoid reconstituted from amber powder, or how do the two relate. I think the float test is intriguing. I'm afraid all of my "amber" stems are acrylic.

Reactions: SBC

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I also don't know much about amber, but.... I have a very old meerschaum with a genuine amber stem. It's a nice shape; straight stem egg and weights almost nothing. Good smoker. I have retired it because of the stem. I noticed that every time I smoked it I would get a tiny sliver of amber in my mouth. I guess it gets brittle from the dry smoke or something. Anyway, I really don't think amber makes all that good of a stem. Back in the past maybe, but not today.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes sir, it is easy and I learned this trick long ago from an old pipe smoker. Rub the stem like crazy and then put if up to the hair on your head. If the hair stands up and gravitates toward the stem, then it's amber.

You can Google how to tell the difference and there are all kinds of other ways.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Yes sir, it is easy and I learned this trick long ago from an old pipe smoker. Rub the stem like crazy and then put if up to the hair on your head. If the hair stands up and gravitates toward the stem, then it's amber.

You can Google how to tell the difference and there are all kinds of other ways.
Touch your wife's nose with the stem after rubbing. If she doesn't hit you it is most likely acrylic. Lower end of the taser scale... (Just guessing here.)