PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
View attachment 216219

I wonder how many amber stems started out looking like this one.....
In all seriousness 😂, I don't know how many times I've been smoking my only pipe with an amber stem, (I know because I had to restore it). While doing so it smelled very much so like tree sap. I'm no expert (yet), but I haven't smelled any vulcanite, acrylic, or cumberland that smelled the same. I wonder how much some of our 100+ year pipes have seen (I know, I know, they don't have eyes, but they have seen some $@&%). What they have seen and such is why I like older pipes. Sorry for the rant 99 🍌

Attachments

• 20220512_182436.jpg
    20220512_182436.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 10

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't think I have ever seen a stem with a trapped fly or such like in the amber. I have given a few pipes away over the years with massive amber stems but they are all the same color and hue of yellow. I have seen flies and pollen in Victorian cigar holders but I think @Chasing Embers is correct in that that they used to grind the stuff up and heat it to make it more malleable.

Reactions: didimauw

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I don't think we're likely to see insects and such trapped in amber pipe stems as the patent that made mass manufacture of them possible involved melting otherwise useless amber bits and forcing them upward into an array of stem blank molds.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Years ago amber made very nice stems. But with the invention of modern plastics we can now do much better.

I have a meerschaum that's almost 100 years old with an amber stem. I used to smoke it occasionally but have retired it. The last few times I smoked it I noticed tiny slivers of amber in my mouth... and I'm a guy who has been smoking some of my pipes for over 50 years and they don't so any teeth marks, so I don't think the problem is me. Bottom line is... amber can become brittle. I suspect weather conditions have something to do with it. It's looks cools, but in the end, it doesn't make for a very good or lasting stem. puffy

Reactions: didimauw