PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Background
I smoked unfiltered pipes for many years and accumulated a nice collection of pipes. Tongue bite has always been an issue with which I struggled. Eventually, I researched the topic and decided to switch to 9mm charcoal filtered pipes.
I now smoke filtered pipes exclusively. I can smoke almost any tobacco in any filtered pipe with zero tongue bite.
But what of my collection of unfiltered pipes? Are they no longer of any utility to me?
I experimented filling the bottom of their bowls with silica crystals, but that did not stop tongue bite.
Then I hit upon an idea.

The Experiments
Fill the bottom third of the bowls with charcoal pieces (see photos)

Constants

Pipes
several quality unfiltered briars -- medium size bowls -- well broken-in

Tobacco
Carter Hall -- a typical American codger blend -- mostly burley with a little virginia and a little flavoring -- I let it dry out a bit, but not to crumbling -- I pack it medium (not too loose, not too tight)

Smoking Technique
I smoke slow (pipe does not get hot on the outside) -- I smoke it down to ash -- I sip water now and then

Result
No tongue bite!

Conclusion
I can now enjoy smoking my old unfiltered pipes, albeit only the top two thirds of the bowl.

Notes:
1. If I smoke Carter Hall in an unfiltered pipe without charcoal, I get tongue bite and require about two days to heal.

2. I still prefer to smoke filtered pipes, all things considered. Filtering is better, and I can enjoy a full pipe.

3. After packing the bowl, I give it a few hard draws, as I usually do. Little bits of charcoal (as opposed to little bits of tobacco) must then be rinsed from my mouth before lighting.

4. Smoking down to ash is no problem. There are no issues with burning charcoal instead of tobacco.

5. I detect no charcoal in the smoke flavor or scent.

6. The draw is particularly good because of the air space under the tobacco.

7. I find a third of a bowl to be the minimum required charcoal.

I will be happy to answer any questions and entertain any suggestions. I hope some may find this information useful.

1714008127558.jpeg

1714008183981.jpeg

Last edited:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
When you refer to "tongue bite," do you mean a burnt tongue, as most people do when they talk about bite? I've burnt my tongue many a time, but only experienced what I think was a bit of "tongue bite" once in six years of smoking pipes. It felt like a tiny wasp had stung the tip of my tongue, but the sensation went away quickly.
If you're having issues even with Carter Hall, a very mild blend, then you might be smoking too quickly and too hot, scorching your tongue with the heat.

Reactions: burleybreath

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
A very interesting experiment. Have you tried other absorbents like Nording keystones or meerschaum chips?
Yes, I have tried both. I find they do not help with bite.
They are designed, primarily, to absorb moisture -- which is not an issue unless I smoke a heavy aromatic.
Nording keystones are silica, I think. These also give an unpleasant taste to the smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
When you refer to "tongue bite," do you mean a burnt tongue, as most people do when they talk about bite? I've burnt my tongue many a time, but only experienced what I think was a bit of "tongue bite" once in six years of smoking pipes. It felt like a tiny wasp had stung the tip of my tongue, but the sensation went away quickly.
If you're having issues even with Carter Hall, a very mild blend, then you might be smoking too quickly and too hot, scorching your tongue with the heat.
Heat is not the issue. It is a chemical burn.
Quite common. Virginias are the worst offenders. A few puffs into a smoke and the tongue begins to tingle.

Last edited:

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
This seems like a brilliant idea to me. I don't suffer from tongue bite, but I always throw away the last third of tobacco because it tastes bitter and ruins my smoke.
I see that activated charcoal costs much less than tobacco (1:10 ratio), so when I empty my pipe, I would be throwing away activated charcoal instead of precious tobacco.
The only doubt I have is about the taste. Are you sure it doesn't alter the flavor of the various tobaccos?
It seems impossible to me that it doesn't have an impact, even if only marginally, in this respect.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
This seems like a brilliant idea to me. I don't suffer from tongue bite, but I always throw away the last third of tobacco because it tastes bitter and ruins my smoke.
I see that activated charcoal costs much less than tobacco (1:10 ratio), so when I empty my pipe, I would be throwing away activated charcoal instead of precious tobacco.
The only doubt I have is about the taste. Are you sure it doesn't alter the flavor of the various tobaccos?
It seems impossible to me that it doesn't have an impact, even if only marginally, in this respect.
Brilliant? Why, yes, now that you mention it. 😎
I have heard of other smokers who throw out the last third. I do this with some blends.
Regarding flavor, I experimented only with Carter Hall, so flavor was never in the equation 😅 -- Carter Hall is bland to begin with.
Using 9mm charcoal filters with tasty tobaccos, I find that charcoal filters enhance the flavor.

Last edited:

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Yes, I have tried both. I find they do not help with bite.
They are designed, primarily, to absorb moisture -- which is not an issue unless I smoke a heavy aromatic.
Nording keystones are silica, I think. These also give an unpleasant taste to the smoke.
Correction: I was thinking of Denicool crystals. Nording Keystones are volcanic clay.
Silica, clay, meerschaum, balsa, paper, rice... all simply absorb moisture; they do not remove contaminants from the smoke. Charcoal is the thing.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Heat is not the issue. It is a chemical burn.
Quite common. Virginias are the worst offenders. A few puffs into a smoke and the tongue begins to tingle.
You could be allergic to the burley. Burley has 200-1200% of the nitrates of regular tobacco. 20% of people have an excess of the mouth bacteria that is highly sensitive to nitrates. The bacteria is good for your heart and breaking down food but the excess reacts to nitrates by swelling, irritation, mouth burn. That could be the chemical reaction your experiencing. There are other threads on this site discussing it. I have an allergic reaction to burley and therefore try to avoid it. I haven't had an issue with straight virginias. YMMV

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
You could be allergic to the burley. Burley has 200-1200% of the nitrates of regular tobacco. 20% of people have an excess of the mouth bacteria that is highly sensitive to nitrates. The bacteria is good for your heart and breaking down food but the excess reacts to nitrates by swelling, irritation, mouth burn. That could be the chemical reaction your experiencing. There are other threads on this site discussing it. I have an allergic reaction to burley and therefore try to avoid it. I haven't had an issue with straight virginias. YMMV
Interesting and useful info! But I, and many others suffer tongue bite from Virginia tobacco -- Burley is our friend.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Interesting and useful info! But I, and many others suffer tongue bite from Virginia tobacco -- Burley is our friend.
All I can say is sip it very slowly and maybe check with an allergist. Maybe there is a topping on it that doesn't agree with you. I think someone recommended microwaving for a few seconds to remove something like glycol. Keep searching for a solution or blend that works for you. everybody is different. Go with what works.

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Background
I smoked unfiltered pipes for many years and accumulated a nice collection of pipes. Tongue bite has always been an issue with which I struggled. Eventually, I researched the topic and decided to switch to 9mm charcoal filtered pipes.
I now smoke filtered pipes exclusively. I can smoke almost any tobacco in any filtered pipe with zero tongue bite.
But what of my collection of unfiltered pipes? Are they no longer of any utility to me?
I experimented filling the bottom of their bowls with silica crystals, but that did not stop tongue bite.
Then I hit upon an idea.

The Experiments
Fill the bottom third of the bowls with charcoal pieces (see photos)

Constants

Pipes
several quality unfiltered briars -- medium size bowls -- well broken-in

Tobacco
Carter Hall -- a typical American codger blend -- mostly burley with a little virginia and a little flavoring -- I let it dry out a bit, but not to crumbling -- I pack it medium (not too loose, not too tight)

Smoking Technique
I smoke slow (pipe does not get hot on the outside) -- I smoke it down to ash -- I sip water now and then

Result
No tongue bite!

Conclusion
I can now enjoy smoking my old unfiltered pipes, albeit only the top two thirds of the bowl.

Notes:
1. If I smoke Carter Hall in an unfiltered pipe without charcoal, I get tongue bite and require about two days to heal.

2. I still prefer to smoke filtered pipes, all things considered. Filtering is better, and I can enjoy a full pipe.

3. After packing the bowl, I give it a few hard draws, as I usually do. Little bits of charcoal (as opposed to little bits of tobacco) must then be rinsed from my mouth before lighting.

4. Smoking down to ash is no problem. There are no issues with burning charcoal instead of tobacco.

5. I detect no charcoal in the smoke flavor or scent.

6. The draw is particularly good because of the air space under the tobacco.

7. I find a third of a bowl to be the minimum required charcoal.

I will be happy to answer any questions and entertain any suggestions. I hope some may find this information useful.

View attachment 305710

View attachment 305712
Have you tried the air pocket method?

It gives me a similar effect to what you’re describing here. I really enjoy this method in larger conical bowls on bent stems.

I was put off by the idea of not having something solid underneath the tobacco to tamp against, and not having anything under the ember to hold everything in place.

That isn’t how fire works though. When combustible particulate matter like tobacco burns, it forms a semi-solid coal which will hold together as long as you don’t tamp too hard.

I switch to the air pocket method when I have tongue bite and it allows me to keep smoking and heal my tongue concurrently.

I’m happy you have figured out a way to avoid the bane of my pipe smoking. You may also consider the Nørding pipe filters which are essentially just filtered/sieved mineral clay that has been kilned as pebbles/fine gravel

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Have you tried the air pocket method?

It gives me a similar effect to what you’re describing here. I really enjoy this method in larger conical bowls on bent stems.

I was put off by the idea of not having something solid underneath the tobacco to tamp against, and not having anything under the ember to hold everything in place.

That isn’t how fire works though. When combustible particulate matter like tobacco burns, it forms a semi-solid coal which will hold together as long as you don’t tamp too hard.

I switch to the air pocket method when I have tongue bite and it allows me to keep smoking and heal my tongue concurrently.

I’m happy you have figured out a way to avoid the bane of my pipe smoking. You may also consider the Nørding pipe filters which are essentially just filtered/sieved mineral clay that has been kilned as pebbles/fine gravel
Thank you for the suggestion. The tongue bite to which many of us refer is a chemical burn, not a heat burn.
Such techniques will therefore not replace carbon filtering.

Nevertheless, such techniques offer notable advantage to the pipe smoker by making the draw and burn easier and cooler.
I find it advantageous to have some air space beneath the tobacco, especially in filtered pipes because the filter does somewhat restrict air flow.

I have never attempted the air pocket filling method; it seems difficult to master. But I do sometimes slam a freshly filled bowl top down against my palm -- holding the pipe by its stummel, not the bit! This creates a small air pocket at the bottom of the bowl.
Another, and perhaps better way to accomplish this is to fill the bottom of the bowl with certain non-combustible substances such as charcoal pieces, Denicool crystals (silica), Nording stones (clay), meerschaum chips, rice, etc.

I have tried Denicool but I don't like the taste it imparts.
I will soon give Nording stones a try.
I don't know where to acquire meerschaum chips, other than hammering apart my meerschaum pipes 😐
White Elephant makes a 9mm filter filled with tiny meerschaum granules, but where to find larger pieces?

Researching old threads, I found another candidate, coffee beans! I don't know if they would help with moisture absorption, but they will provide air space, and if they impart flavor, well that might be a good thing.

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
I am aware of the difference but I have always posited that allowing the smoke to mix with air will itself, buffer the PH of the smoke considerably. This has been my experience at least, but I certainly do not claim to be an authority on the matter.

I am glad the charcoal works for you and it’s probably a lot better

Thank you for the suggestion. The tongue bite to which many of us refer is a chemical burn, not a heat burn.
Such techniques will therefore not replace carbon filtering.

Nevertheless, such techniques offer notable advantage to the pipe smoker by making the draw and burn easier and cooler.
I find it advantageous to have some air space beneath the tobacco, especially in filtered pipes because the filter does somewhat restrict air flow.

I have never attempted the air pocket filling method; it seems difficult to master. But I do sometimes slam a freshly filled bowl top down against my palm -- holding the pipe by its stummel, not the bit! This creates a small air pocket at the bottom of the bowl.
Another, and perhaps better way to accomplish this is to fill the bottom of the bowl with certain non-combustible substances such as charcoal pieces, Denicool crystals (silica), Nording stones (clay), meerschaum chips, rice, etc.

I have tried Denicool but I don't like the taste it imparts.
I will soon give Nording stones a try.
I don't know where to acquire meerschaum chips, other than hammering apart my meerschaum pipes
😐

White Elephant makes a 9mm filter filled with tiny meerschaum granules, but where to find larger pieces?

Researching old threads, I found another candidate, coffee beans! I don't know if they would help with moisture absorption, but they will provide air space, and if they impart flavor, well that might be a good thing.