PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Thank you for posting the results of your experiments. I find it very interesting. Luckily for me, I started collecting 9mm pipes without knowing what the charcoal filters were for. I just used the adapters for a long time until I tried the filters. Wow! Was I ever glad my favourite pipes were 9mm.

I might try the charcoal on the bottom for the few unfiltered pipes I have. I can still smoke them from time to time but I enjoy filtered pipes more.

I will always keep a couple unfiltered pipes in the case of the apocalypse where obtaining 9mm activated charcoal filters and pipe cleaners is no longer possible.

• Love
Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Thank you for the suggestion. The tongue bite to which many of us refer is a chemical burn, not a heat burn.
Such techniques will therefore not replace carbon filtering.

Nevertheless, such techniques offer notable advantage to the pipe smoker by making the draw and burn easier and cooler.
I find it advantageous to have some air space beneath the tobacco, especially in filtered pipes because the filter does somewhat restrict air flow.

I have never attempted the air pocket filling method; it seems difficult to master. But I do sometimes slam a freshly filled bowl top down against my palm -- holding the pipe by its stummel, not the bit! This creates a small air pocket at the bottom of the bowl.
Another, and perhaps better way to accomplish this is to fill the bottom of the bowl with certain non-combustible substances such as charcoal pieces, Denicool crystals (silica), Nording stones (clay), meerschaum chips, rice, etc.

I have tried Denicool but I don't like the taste it imparts.
I will soon give Nording stones a try.
I don't know where to acquire meerschaum chips, other than hammering apart my meerschaum pipes 😐
White Elephant makes a 9mm filter filled with tiny meerschaum granules, but where to find larger pieces?

Researching old threads, I found another candidate, coffee beans! I don't know if they would help with moisture absorption, but they will provide air space, and if they impart flavor, well that might be a good thing.
Regarding coffee beans: I did a little research.
Coffee beans are hygroscopic, which means they absorb moisture from the air and other sources.
Coffee beans have a porous structure that allows them to absorb odors from the surrounding environment.

I will now experiment using coffee beans at the bottom of the bowl while smoking.
I do not plan to experiment if they filter smoke as well as charcoal (I don't think they will), but only if they fill the same role as Nording Stones--absorb moisture, create air space under the burning tobacco, save money for those who sometimes discard the tobacco at the bowl bottom.

Many of us find an airspace below burning tobacco yields a more satisfying smoke. This is particularly the case with filtered pipes (because the airflow is somewhat restricted) and with tobacco blends which do not burn well.

Two things will I observe:
1. Do the coffee beans remain unburnt (This I consider essential)
2. Do the coffee beans impart an unpleasant taste (or perhaps a pleasant taste?)

I will use five beans at the bottom of a large briar bowl while smoking a rubbed flake (Virginias and Orientals) which is tasty and fragrant, but which is difficult to pack properly and does not burn well (difficult to keep lit).

Last edited:

Fuelman

Lurker
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
Coffee beans are hygroscopic, which means they absorb moisture from the air and other sources.
Coffee beans have a porous structure that allows them to absorb odors from the surrounding environment.

I will now experiment using coffee beans at the bottom of the bowl while smoking.
I do not plan to experiment if they filter smoke as well as charcoal (I don't think they will), but only if they fill the same role as Nording Stones--absorb moisture, create air space under the burning tobacco, save money for those who sometimes discard the tobacco at the bowl bottom.

Many of us find an airspace below burning tobacco yields a more satisfying smoke. This is particularly the case with filtered pipes (because the airflow is somewhat restricted) and with tobacco blends which do not burn well.

2. Do the coffee beans impart an unpleasant taste (or perhaps a pleasant taste?)

I will use five beans at the bottom of a large briar bowl while smoking a rubbed flake (Virginias and Orientals) which is tasty and fragrant, but which is difficult to pack properly and does not burn well (difficult to keep lit).
Who knows, you might come up with an espresso blend. Nicotine and caffeine. No need to drink coffee with that bowl. Could be a win, win.

• Love
Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States

I hesitate to draw conclusions after only one smoke, but so far so good.
The beans definitely char, as do clay and silica. Is the smoke from a bit of coffee bean unhealthy? I cannot say, but if one is willing to risk smoking tobacco ...

Apr 5, 2024
Israel
Just tried the Air Pocket packing method on my meerschaum-lined pipe with 9mm Balsa filter- wow!
  • Very easy and controllable draw
  • Very cool smoke
  • No relights, almost no tampering (but I think I packed too much)
Thank you for the idea! Will hand on to it for now

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I've always had to use charcoal filters when smoking C&D blends due to an allergic reaction to their perique they like to use. Charcoal also seems to reduce nicotine, which is fine with me. I have a quantity of quality charcoal that I use for my reef aquarium and I'm going to give it a shot with a couple severely perique-ghosted pipes that don't take filters. Thanks for the idea.