And Now For Something Completely Different!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

30 Fresh Brigham Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
18 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
This is interesting from a technical and sociological perspective. I wonder what pipe tobacco would "taste" like under this paradigm. I also found it interesting that US antismoking policymakers don't like the approach for tobacco control for reasons of "ideological purity".

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is interesting from a technical and sociological perspective. I wonder what pipe tobacco would "taste" like under this paradigm. I also found it interesting that US antismoking policymakers don't like the approach for tobacco control for reasons of "ideological purity".

The “heated tobacco” description seems a little vague. I’m not exactly sure if this is the same, but I have used an electronic vaporizer to smoke pipe tobacco. Post in thread ***What are You Smoking, April 2022?***:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I tried one of these a couple of years or so ago (a friend had one). At that time I was smoking cigarettes, and for me this didn't come close to replacing them. It tasted weird, didn't feel like smoking a cigarette. It uses a little short cigarette-looking capsule which you have to remove at the end. I mostly smoked rollies, and only smoked straights occasionally, so I'm not sure if that might make a difference.

For what it's worth, my friend swore by it. Not sure if he still uses it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
How was Pirate Kake in the Vane?

It still tasted like Pirate Kake, but it’s different. I need to play with it more in terms of dialing in the temperature for ignition/burning. There’s less smoke than a pipe, which might be closer to ideal technique, but also a different mouth feel. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve used it. I should report back after firing it up again.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yeah I wonder what “treatment“ the baccy may get, and if it’s actually something you wouldn’t wish to inhale. You have been able to get devices like this in America for 20 years but not marketed towards tobacco users. They heat the organic matter enough to flash off essential oils but below the point of combustion, giving the user an extra tasty experience. Since tobacco is typically way drier than what these products are designed for I can’t help but wonder if the “treatment“ is propylene glycol

Reactions: Laurent and Elric

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It still tasted like Pirate Kake, but it’s different. I need to play with it more in terms of dialing in the temperature for ignition/burning. There’s less smoke than a pipe, which might be closer to ideal technique, but also a different mouth feel. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve used it. I should report back after firing it up again.
Lower temp generally = better flavor

Reactions: Laurent

Roach1

Can't Leave
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
My wife swichted to iqos about a year ago. Her cough is gone and sie breaths better. I went to vaping about 4 years ago from cigs. Now I am trying to get back to pipe smoking rather than vaping. The german goverment has sky rocketed the vape costs. 1 liter of 70/30 VG/PG costs Almosen 400 Euros compared to about 20 a year ago. Enough from me.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
And probably better taste. Call me old fashioned but I say if you’re going to inhale tobacco just smoke real cigarettes. Spring for quality organic tobacco. Besides, half of these people “vaping” aren’t even doing it right. If you’re bellowing out giant clouds your temp is too high and you’re not really vaping. That is combusting albeit at a lower temp than a cigarette burns.

Reactions: Laurent

mark_b

Lurker
Dec 7, 2023
New York
The introduction of heated tobacco products (HTP) in America has both technical and sociological aspects that are of interest.
Heating tobacco, as opposed to burning it, can provide smokers with an alternative with fewer harmful substances associated with the combustion process.
The introduction of HTP may change social smoking habits and the public perception of smokers. This may lead to a reduction in the stigma associated with tobacco use or create new sociocultural dynamics.
The approach to tobacco control can be divisive among politicians and the public. Some may see HTPs as less harmful, while others may fear that they contribute to the maintenance of nicotine addiction.
For Prohibitionists who promote abstinence from alcohol and tobacco, the implementation of HTP may be a subject of debate. Depending on how these products are perceived, they may become subject to additional restrictions or, conversely, be seen as a more acceptable form of consumption. Of course, I sometimes smoke this vape Sp2s 600 puffs, but I don’t give up traditional tobacco.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
When I see things like this and Vaps, I feel like it’s just the vegetarians of the tobacco world. You don’t want to smoke tobacco but you want to look like a smoker. Look it looks like bacon but it’s veggie bacon. I see shows like triple D and they go to these restaurants that are vegan and everything on the menu is to look and taste like meat, chorizo Mexican burrito, hamburgers, and chicken sandwiches. Stop trying to mimic something you’re trying to avoid and either join or just roast your vegetables and eat them the way they are. I always wonder when governments will just let us be adults and choose our own vices. If they were so worried about our health, why don’t they start with the food we eat? Seeing it’s all genetically modified and over processed. But, what do I know? I have an old man that always asks me what do I know? I always answer, nothing. Lol

Reactions: mark_b and kcghost