PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I love cheeses from La Mancha and northern Spain, tetilla cheese from the village of Arzua. Goat and sheep, my favorites. Arzúa-Ulloa: This is a soft cheese, made with raw or pasteurized milk, which has a minimum ripening period of six days. Its shape is cylindrical with rounded edges and its rind is thin and elastic yellow.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I love cheeses from La Mancha and northern Spain, tetilla cheese from the village of Arzua. Goat and sheep, my favorites. Arzúa-Ulloa: This is a soft cheese, made with raw or pasteurized milk, which has a minimum ripening period of six days. Its shape is cylindrical with rounded edges and its rind is thin and elastic yellow.
Just last week I tried 3 different Manchego cheeses that a friend brought back to Scotland after a work trip to Spain. I had never had it before. They were really tasty. My favourite was one that was coated in paprika. It was lovely.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Just last week I tried 3 different Manchego cheeses that a friend brought back to Scotland after a work trip to Spain. I had never had it before. They were really tasty. My favourite was one that was coated in paprika. It was lovely.
The fresh Galician cheeses are spectacular, then there are those of Asturias, which are incredible, and the Manchego cheeses are more of the same. I highly recommend them. Tetilla cheese is very tasty when combined with grapes or quince jelly.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
The fresh Galician cheeses are spectacular, then there are those of Asturias, which are incredible, and the Manchego cheeses are more of the same. I highly recommend them. Tetilla cheese is very tasty when combined with grapes or quince jelly.
I have to say very hard cheeses of a Pecorino like texture isn't normally of the style I would go for. But I am a convert. Will be looking for more cheeses like that in future. We were eating the Manchego with a lovely chorizo like sausage from France.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am making a switch away from my beloved double and triple cream cheeses to good hard cheeses. My lady friend is convinced I am allergic to dairy, and I can't disagree. This a.m. I made some progress by substituting a machiatto for a cap. OH! The trials we go through.... :)

• Sad
Reactions: JOHN72 and OzPiper
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I am Greek, as such Feta is the irreplaceable king of cheese for me.
Your post put me in the mood for a shrimp and feta dish I make with orzo, roasted tomatoes and Mediterranean seasonings (garlic, oregano, olive oil, lemon juice).

Feta is more diverse than most Americans probably realize: salty and creamy, it compliments a lot more than a Greek salad (feta and watermelon, for example, combines sweet and salty for a refreshing snack).

20240428_162417.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am making a switch away from my beloved double and triple cream cheeses to good hard cheeses. My lady friend is convinced I am allergic to dairy, and I can't disagree. This a.m. I made some progress by substituting a machiatto for a cap. OH! The trials we go through.... :)
I’m in the same boat.
Just work out how much you can tolerate.
Cream gives me the most problem - absolutely darstardly ☹️
Luckily I’m fine with most cheese if I limit myself. Occasionally I look at a piece of cheese and think “damn, you look so delicious - I’ll put up with the consequences later” 😏

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was on a real feta binge last year. It is astounding how many brands are out there. The commercial USA-made stuff is pretty tame, but what a spectrum of flavor and texture from the imported brands. You would think that it was all the same, and it is not!

The same goes for a lot of the cheese in the US. While there is a fantastic small scale cheese industry here, most of what you find in the supermarket is pretty pedestrian, all turned out (I suspect) by one or two companies. Then there's this:

Amos Miller Raw Milk Case Allowed to Continue

(Amos also makes cheese)

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
salty and creamy, it compliments a lot more than a Greek salad (feta and watermelon, for example, combines sweet and salty for a refreshing snack).
Feta and melon/watermelon was my grandma’s summer snack!

You can make a simple mustard vinaigrette with lemon instead of vinegar, marinate mussels and shrimps in it, mix with crushed garlic and crumbled feta and bake. Divine!

I say that feta can be put on everything other than sex, and like to say that feta has probably saved many a marriage. I struggle to think of a savoury taste that’s not complimented by it in some way.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I was on a real feta binge last year. It is astounding how many brands are out there. The commercial USA-made stuff is pretty tame, but what a spectrum of flavor and texture from the imported brands. You would think that it was all the same, and it is not!
Yep, you can get anything from rock hard, ultra peppery to soft enough to spread on bread. Another thing I liked to do is put it in fresh water overnight, takes a lot of the salt out and leaves a very pleasant sweet cheese behind.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
The amount of cheeses available around the world must be countless with most regions producing some cheese that is pretty unique to that area.

I'm a fan of rich and creamy cheeses like St. Agur, Cambazola and the like but I also love most traditional English regional cheeses such as Cheddar, Stilton, Wensleydale & Cheshire....the crumblier the better for the latter.

I also love Cornish Yarg (a type of Brie wrapped in stinging nettle leaves) Dutch Edam and Norwegian Jarlsberg and Swiss Emmental.

I've even tried (and kind of liked) the ferocious smelling Stinking Bishop whose taste is nothing at all like its dead dog stench.

The one type of cheese I avoid however is goat's milk cheese......I just hate the stuff.

So folks, what do you like to see on your cheeseboard?

Jay.
I usually hate most goat cheese, but when I was a kid, a guy who farmed goats brought out some Chevre that he had just made. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Not a hint of gaminess. When I got older I bought some Chevra from the grocery store and it was horrible. Tasted exactly like a goat smells.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I usually hate most goat cheese, but when I was a kid, a guy who farmed goats brought out some Chevre that he had just made. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Not a hint of gaminess. When I got older I bought some Chevra from the grocery store and it was horrible. Tasted exactly like a goat smells.
Fresh chevre is very mild in taste and aroma
The more aged it is, the pong-ier it gets.

I once bought a chevre at an French farmers' market.
It smelt and tasted (I could only stomach a tiny bit) like it had been aged in a pen with the billy goats

Ewe's milk cheese can be a good transition to chevre as it is much milder.
I have had Italian cheese made from cow+sheep+goat milk - a bit "goat-y", but not rank

Reactions: karam and JOHN72

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
been aged in a pen with the billy goats
And that is why I can't bide goat's milk cheese, it just reminds me of the stink of billy goat.

Ewe's milk cheese however I can deal with but my preferred would be cow's milk cheeses.

I should imagine in certain African or Middle Eastern countries there would be camel's milk cheese and I'm sure I saw in a documentary once the eating of horse milk cheese in Mongolia or thereabouts.

Not so sure I'd like those :rolleyes:

Jay.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
And that is why I can't bide goat's milk cheese, it just reminds me of the stink of billy goat.
I once had grilled billy goat sausages, I think I even posted about it here in some thread. The stink coming off them was spectacular. My taste is towards the stronger stuff: mutton, 2+ year old goat, rooster, bull, 2+ year old pig. That's where the flavour is, I don't get why people are willing to pay so much for veal (plus it's cruel), chicken breast, "other white meat" pork etc. When I lived in the UK I used to be puzzled by the fact that boneless, skinless chicken breast was 2x the price of thighs, thigs have the flavour!