PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well the old cutty has arrived at my repairers,the silver band is hallmarked for 1910.
apparently the threads on the mortice/tenon are worn so require work as I expected

Reactions: bayareabriar

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The claw's case is very recent and Turkish. The pipe is not.
it may well be I dont know but it does seem to fit and protect the pipe,so all good for me:)
whats your thought on origin of the pipe? Tim's post from before shows a pipe with the same style mount and UK hallmarks but as far as I know this pipe has no hallmarks just silver on the mount
s-l1600.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Wish I knew. It'd be fun to examine in-hand. I hope it smokes well!
Ah ok,I thought you may have an idae as you said The claw's case is very recent and Turkish. The pipe is not.

I guess you meant the pipe is not recent but origin unknown not that the pipe is not turkish

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The claw pipe has arrived and I can confirm the case isnt original as it doesnt fit perfectly and the clasp is the type used on Turkish pipes of more recent vintage ,although it fits well enough for protection.
The pipe however is in nice condition and has a bone stem.The army style mount appears not to be tapered and is a little loose.
I have gentle pushed the outer edge of the ring inwards and it is now more secure.Idont usually dismantle old stems on meers so it will get some tar buildup and "glue" together with use

Ian still not sure about the darkening of the bowl.I dont think its oxblood as very close to the claws it is lighter.Unless this fades with use/age.
I have cleaned the inside with warm water and now it is drying
All in all I am quite happy

Reactions: jpmcwjr