PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I’m a new pipe smoker (about 3 months or so) and still learning. I saw another thread about nicotine buzz, but I had an experience tonight that I am trying to make sense of.

I smoked a bowl of Mac Baren Mixture Modern after work today. Packed it the same as usual and I am working at keeping a slow pace to my smoking. Tonight I am physically ill from the smoke (clammy, dizzy, nauseated). I’m trying to figure out why.

I have had food and drink today as usual. I smoked a bowl of Mac Baren Mixture Modern this morning before work, and it was fine. I’ve been smoking that same tobacco for about a week with no trouble. What could have hit me differently tonight? I can’t figure it out. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jbfrady and yanoJL

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Have you been sleeping less lately? Did you hydrate during your smoke? What were you eating and drinking and when did you consume them?
I use a spoonful of honey if and when I get nic sick. Either that or any sugary candy will do.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My initial guess would be blood-sugar level. Simply a wild-ass guess though. Could be many reasons. But, the most obvious is your metabolism couldn't handle the nicotine. Why? I'd ask a doctor is the condition persists and you want an answer. You'll get all sorts of responses here though. And, quite possibly the nicotine had nothing to do with your problem.

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I was not hydrating during the smoke, but I often don’t. I had eaten as usual today. The only difference I can note is that today was a particularly high-stress day at work.

The only other thing I can figure is maybe I am just starting to get ill independently of the nicotine, and this just brought it out.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
My guess and that's just what this is...your oxygen levels dipped. Concentrating so much on your cadence sometimes folks hold their breathe or take shallow breath because their main source of air is being used to suck in smoke which is at a different cadence and strength than breathing air. Perhaps you were not taking deep enough breaths to fill your lungs. Breathe normally and inhale as always with usually breathing cadence. Use your nose to breathe in and seal the stem. Venturi effect will bring in wisps of smoke to your air stream. Another option is to crack the seal around the stem and breathe in through mouth if you are used to breathing that way. Doing this will allow normal breathing and not overly stoke or overly smoke the pipe.

Call Me Late

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2021
Windsor Ontario
I can’t exactly tell from your post if you had anything to eat or drink with your smoke. If not, it might be a good idea to try next time. Or even try to have a little sugar now? Sometimes our bodies react more than our brain knows.

Reactions: JOHN72

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I used to be able to chain smoke cigarettes and smoke strong cigars. One day out of the blue that changed. Even mild cigars made me feel sick. I never did get sick but just felt horrible. So far no issues with the pipe.

Reactions: jxr182 and JOHN72

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
What I would do to smoke nicotine-free tobacco! As the others have said, sleep well, stay hydrated, drink sugary drink while smoking, make sure you are on a full stomach.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yeah, probably low sugar due no empty stomach. How long have you had something to eat before smoke? There were good number of suggestions such as "have good meal before smoking this blend" and so on. Don't see those too often nowadays.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Nicotine increases the cells resistance to insulin, same process as in type 2 diabetes. It can also increase your chances of developing diabetes:(, although the effect is minor. So your body requires higher levels of glucose (sugar) to operate normally. Unfortunately, this is not ‘normal’ and has significant health consequences.

Your story has a distinct change in how you react to nicotine. I would be concerned that you are developing diabetes. Have you gained weight? I would recommend you getting your glucose level or HgbA1C checked to determine if you are developing insulin resistance and therefore do not tolerate the nicotine any longer.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
What could have hit me differently tonight? I can’t figure it out. Any thoughts?
Put simply: nicotine is a drug. All drugs, whether nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, cocaine, or psychedelics follow two rules - set and setting. That is, your mindset and physical setting. How you feel, what you're doing, what kind of day you're having... all these and more affect how it'll hit you.

That's why you feel it more some days than others. The drugs don't change; we do. One day I can smoke a bowl of Epiphany no problem, then the next day a half bowl of Vanners might kick my ass.

Reactions: Tyke Piper