PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
French-turned "LC" stummels---meaning full bent pipes with a curved airway---showed up in many places back in the day.

Pretty much any company with access could buy some, and either farm them out to be finished or do it themselves.

There's a guy here in the US who has made finding and collecting such specimens a "hobby within the hobby" for many years. Meaning, they aren't all he collects, but when he finds one---even if only a stem-less stummel---he Hoovers it up to be brought back to life and added to his Alternate Name LC collection. (for lack of a better term)

This one is stamped only "Schulte's" in script on the shank, with a small "MUC" on the heel.

Where the original stem went no one knows, of course.

Damn, those things were elegant. :)

P1070097.jpg
P1070094.jpg
P1070100.jpg
P1070101.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The transition from stummel to stem appears seamless. And, your button work is fantastic. Can’t say enough…👍☕

Thanks. :)

I always figured that since the button and bite zone are the only things in contact with the smoker (except for the bowl---which can be any shape or texture, so doesn't count in the same way), and lips & mouths are extremely sensitive, those two things count for a LOT.

I know that with my own pipes "mouth comfort" is often what decides which one I'll reach for when choosing a pipe to smoke.

P1070106.jpg
P1070107.jpg
P1070109.jpg
P1070111.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

I always figured that since the button and bite zone are the only things in contact with the smoker (except for the bowl---which can be any shape or texture, so doesn't count in the same way), and lips & mouths are extremely sensitive, those two things count for a LOT.

I know that with my own pipes "mouth comfort" is often what decides which one I'll reach for when choosing a pipe to smoke.

View attachment 305518
View attachment 305519
View attachment 305520
View attachment 305521
Amazing "stem and button work " George.
Is it much trouble to post a picture of the rim of the bowl ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Schulte's was a tobacco and pipe repair shop in Newark NJ. He would likely smile seeing this one still in use.
This Schulte (Howard) retired to FL and did pipe repair, up until a few years ago. At least I think it was the same person. I believe he has now passed.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Max M. Schulte (1911-2001) started the NJ shop in the 1950s; before that he owned several small businesses including a stationers and a liquor store. Max appears to be the first member of his family in the pipe & tobacco trade. His father Abraham was a carpenter; oldest brother Henry owned a gas station; brother Louis work in the food industry (baked goods, and later meats); and brother Irving drove a milk truck before becoming a hatter.

Although Max had a son named Barry the shop was eventually taken over by his nephew Howard Martin Schulte (1940-2023), the son of Max’s brother Henry. Howard move the shop to Vero Beach circa 2000.

Note that the stamping on this pipe is apparently not particularly unusual but what MUC means is unknown to me: Schulte muc pipe - page 1 | WorthPoint - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?categories=&query=Schulte+muc+pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and MattRVA

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Max M. Schulte (1911-2001) started the NJ shop in the 1950s; before that he owned several small businesses including a stationers and a liquor store. Max appears to be the first member of his family in the pipe & tobacco trade. His father Abraham was a carpenter; oldest brother Henry owned a gas station; brother Louis work in the food industry (baked goods, and later meats); and brother Irving drove a milk truck before becoming a hatter.

Although Max had a son named Barry the shop was eventually taken over by his nephew Howard Martin Schulte (1940-2023), the son of Max’s brother Henry. Howard move the shop to Vero Beach circa 2000.

Note that the stamping on this pipe is apparently not particularly unusual but what MUC means is unknown to me: Schulte muc pipe - page 1 | WorthPoint - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?categories=&query=Schulte+muc+pipe.

This ^^^^ is equal parts awesome and terrifying.

Either jguss is one of those quasi-mythical Net ninjas, or the never-seen cabinet minster that the CIA, NSA, and FBI directors all report to.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 305518
View attachment 305519
View attachment 305520
View attachment 305521
Ohhhhhhh babyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I'd put my mouth all over that.

I'm cheap, so I've learned how to make certain pipes work for me. But the button is so very important.

When I got my first commission, and most expensive pipe to date,was when I realized how important it was. The fact that the left side was pointed, and the right side was rounded, like a 5th grader made it, set button importance in stone for me.

Reactions: FLDRD

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state

The letter codes on Shulte pipes were apparently a pricing code, though how to decipher it is beyond me. Among many others I have an "MAC", a "CERS" and an "AER". The pipes were in a jumble in drawers and racks in the shop and I suspect this method was how they dealt with price tags falling off or getting switched.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How in the world did they drill the draft hole?

A drill bit tip brazed onto the end of a piece of flexible cable, that's steered by using a curved metal tube which slowly "follows" the drill bit as it progresses through the wood.

In the old days they were called "peck drills" (presumably because you'd take a poke/peck with the bit, push the tube, take another peck, push the tube, etc. until you'd gone as deep as you wanted.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This ^^^^ is equal parts awesome and terrifying.

Either jguss is one of those quasi-mythical Net ninjas, or the never-seen cabinet minster that the CIA, NSA, and FBI directors all report to.
When I first got to know Jon I wondered if he worked in intelligence. Now I know that Jon’s just hugely intelligent.