PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
Try Golden Va. instead of Red Va. I find Red Va. can be hotter to smoke.
Thanks for the suggestion Jef !

Beside Orlik GS, what other brands are in the Virginia Golden category ? I plan on getting a tin of Capstan Blue, GL Union Square and Peterson Flake to experiment with.

So far I tried OGS, Escudo and CD Opening Night (which I think is a red VA that indeed smoked hot). OGS was the sweetest (and spicier) of the bunch, and sometimes I mix it with the other two for that reason.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Thanks for the suggestion Jef !

Beside Orlik GS, what other brands are in the Virginia Golden category ? I plan on getting a tin of Capstan Blue, GL Union Square and Peterson Flake to experiment with.

So far I tried OGS, Escudo and CD Opening Night (which I think is a red VA that indeed smoked hot). OGS was the sweetest (and spicier) of the bunch, and sometimes I mix it with the other two for that reason.
Brother I am quite the rookie when it comes to tobaccos. I came back to the hobby back in 2017. I tried what I consider to be a fair amount of different types of tobaccos (both english and aeros). Personally, I found blends with red virginias were hotter and more prone to tongue bite than those containing golden va. I smoke an aero (Lane 1Q). So many folks really get down on aeros. However, I would highly suggest that you try it. I still try a different tobacco now and then. But I quit spending a lot of money trying different blends. I have been smoking it for 6 yrs now and I still just love the stuff.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Hello fellow pipers !

I have a small pipe collection and all of them are lightweight (up to 1.4oz/40g) as I am a clencher. I am looking to add one more pipe to my inventory and was looking at these two:
  • Peterson System Spigot 312, P-Lip, Bent Billiard, Vulcanite stem
  • Peterson Deluxe Classic, P-Lip, Bent Brandy, Vulcanite stem
The main reason I picked these was the P-Lip end, which I hope will give me some relief in times when I recover from tongue bite. They are priced similarly and do not want to go over $200. I realize that they have vulcanite stems - one of my pipes has vulcanite so I know how to take care of it.

The Spigot has the "System" system obviously, while the Deluxe Classic ... I'm not sure (probably not ?).

I don't own any Petersons yet. Both pipes listed above weigh 2oz/57g, quite a bit more than what I usually go for ... Will the more pronounced bent shape still lend them to a somehow comfortable clenching, or are they meant to be supported by the hand all the time ? How difficult are they to clean ?

If anybody owns any of the above and can share his experience with it, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
If you usually smoke with the pipe clenched between your teeth, the P-lip isn't going to work for you. I a "hanger" and like the P-lip very much. I have a bunch of Petes with P-lips; they all smoke well.

• Love

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
If you smoke hot enough to get tongue bite the P-lip is going to contribute to pallet bite,

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
If you usually smoke with the pipe clenched between your teeth, the P-lip isn't going to work for you. I a "hanger" and like the P-lip very much. I have a bunch of Petes with P-lips; they all smoke well.
I guess every one of us is different. Or rather I should say, everyone has a different teeth conformation. I am a clencher and I find the wide flat stems (e.g., Savinelli) far more challenging to clench than Pete's P-lip stem. Since my teeth are more in a "hill and a valley" shape, I can clench the narrower and rounded P-lip stems comfortably.

Last edited:

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
If you smoke hot enough to get tongue bite the P-lip is going to contribute to pallet bite,
So far that hasn't happened to me yet, and I've smoked a few Orlik GS bowls on my Pete, but that may have to do with the fact that I've been smoking cigars long before I picked up pipe (and I prefer the cigar smoke to hit my pallet). And also that I dry the Orlik (and any other straight VAs) really thoroughly 😄

When I smoke pipes with normal fishtail stem, I insert the stem quit a bit in my mouth (~ 1 inch) and "angle" them slightly so that the smoke will not hit my tongue directly. That also helped me avoid tongue bite with VAs (don't normally get bitten by English blends).

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
I guess every one of us is different. Or rather I should say, everyone has a different teeth conformation. I am a clencher and I find the wide flat stems (e.g., Savinelli) far more challenging to clench than Pete's P-lip stem. Since my teeth are more in a "hill and a valley" shape, I can clench the narrower and rounded P-lip stems comfortably.
Peterson's also makes pipes with conventional bits.

Nevaditude

Can't Leave
Apr 5, 2022
Northern Nevada
THAT is a beautiful 314 ! 🇮🇪
I have 2 of those 314 systems & both are great smokes. One is a Jekyll / Hyde from last Halloween illustrating the duality of man. The other is a Heritage finish standard. Love them-
I have four 317's - 2 spigot systems and a standard system, as well as the deluxe 12.5 puffy
I LOVE those pipes as well..
I also have three 313's and one 312... you can NOT for wrong with the 'smaller' system pipes. FANTASTIC !

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Reactions: AroEnglish

rugged pipe

Lurker
Apr 18, 2024
I am contemplating getting another Pete System Spigot 314, but in rusticated finish (to add some variety and also save some cash).

I assume the grains on the rusticated ones weren't anything special (hence the rustication decision) but otherwise, should I expect the same briar quality as as the one used for smooth finishes ?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I am contemplating getting another Pete System Spigot 314, but in rusticated finish (to add some variety and also save some cash).

I assume the grains on the rusticated ones weren't anything special (hence the rustication decision) but otherwise, should I expect the same briar quality as as the one used for smooth finishes ?
Reasonable question. I'm interested in seeing replies.
But one may do well to distinguish between "quality" and "beauty", as they may very well not be the same.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Looks like a place I might be able to ask a Pete question without it being in the wrong thread??

I would like to know when the System Deluxe line was introduced?
I have already attempted to look up on as many sites as came up in my search and find nothing.

In fact, had some AI (BS) at the top of the search saying that Peterson never introduced the 11s, which was the model I was wondering about at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
I don't clench so I can't help you with which might fit better but I do have 2 system pipes, a 314 and a 303 silver spigot and they take just a bit more in cleaning than running a pipe cleaner thru them. I use a q-tip for the reservoir but if you don't like cleaning a pipe after every smoke then maybe a system might not be a good choice. I'm meticulous which is sometimes a curse.