Any former members of the International Peterson Pipe Club still out there ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
3 Fresh Wojtek Pastuch Pipes
48 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh White Elephant Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
As the thread say's, I was a member from the start, good friends were Chuck and Jim, seems years ago, a massive membership to the end, if I was great on computers I would have tried to keep it going. Good luck and health to all you ex members. :sher:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
As the thread say's, I was a member from the start, good friends were Chuck and Jim, seems years ago, a massive membership to the end, if I was great on computers I would have tried to keep it going. Good luck and health to all you ex members. :sher:
Can you say more about its history? I’ve heard of it but haven’t found much online. And who were Chuck and Jim?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Can you say more about its history? I’ve heard of it but haven’t found much online. And who were Chuck and Jim?
Jim Lilley was the standard bearer for Peterson pipes. He passed away in 2012. This was only a year in after I stared smoking a pipe,and Peterson as a brand had just entered my world. Now, Mark Irwin has assumed this role.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Chuck Wright was a long distance Trucker from the USA, Trucker Chuck, he was a Peterson Fanatic and had the best collection of Peterson Catalogue's I have ever come across, his knowledge of all things Peterson was immense, I once asked him about my Grandmothers pipe from the early 20's, it is a small Peterson Billiard with a Rose gold band, within 2 minutes he had come up with the exact model, he had a great sense of humour, he along with Jim Lilley were the founder members of the International Peterson Pipe Club.

Jim Lilley lived in Scotland and was also a Peterson Fanatic, I Popped in to see him when I was visiting Scotland a few times and was amazed at his collection of Peterson Pipes, and they always looked brand new, he would meticulously clean his pipes after each bowl, most of his collection he did not smoke, just loved having them. I never found out where he sourced his rare collection. I always found him to be a very serious man and unlike his good friend Chuck he was not blessed with a good sense of humour, he just lived Peterson.

The International Peterson Club had many thousand members at it's height and was a great source of information from all over the world, some were big collectors, some had just one Peterson Pipe, I was lucky to meet up with some of the UK based members, all lovely people, sadly like Chuck and Jim a lot have passed away, it was great when it lasted, Jim and Chuck were both acknowledged in the Peterson Pipe book.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Chuck Wright was a long distance Trucker from the USA, Trucker Chuck, he was a Peterson Fanatic and had the best collection of Peterson Catalogue's I have ever come across, his knowledge of all things Peterson was immense, I once asked him about my Grandmothers pipe from the early 20's, it is a small Peterson Billiard with a Rose gold band, within 2 minutes he had come up with the exact model, he had a great sense of humour, he along with Jim Lilley were the founder members of the International Peterson Pipe Club.

Jim Lilley lived in Scotland and was also a Peterson Fanatic, I Popped in to see him when I was visiting Scotland a few times and was amazed at his collection of Peterson Pipes, and they always looked brand new, he would meticulously clean his pipes after each bowl, most of his collection he did not smoke, just loved having them. I never found out where he sourced his rare collection. I always found him to be a very serious man and unlike his good friend Chuck he was not blessed with a good sense of humour, he just lived Peterson.

The International Peterson Club had many thousand members at it's height and was a great source of information from all over the world, some were big collectors, some had just one Peterson Pipe, I was lucky to meet up with some of the UK based members, all lovely people, sadly like Chuck and Jim a lot have passed away, it was great when it lasted, Jim and Chuck were both acknowledged in the Peterson Pipe book.
As a newer pipe smoker (5 years) I wish the old gaurd would pass down the knowledge accumulated to us younger smokers to be able to preserve like a museum the history that some collectors have that no others do.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Thanks for the thorough write-up! Chuck especially sounds like my kind of guy.

Do you know what happened to their pipes?

Reactions: tobakenist
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yep, Marks blog has really developed a following, many are also members here. Member RustyPyles was just featured in last Sundays blog.
Last sunday was Gary Hamilton, his artistry and skill far exceeds my own. He restored a very lovely porcelain pipe, which is well outside my area of expertise. But I have been featured a few times.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Right!!! 1 would think, they would have old articles and history nobody else has, That would be the place for it. Pipe Notes is awsome but I'm sure there are some old school guys from the IPPC that have info Mark hasn't and vice versa, I just wish there were a way to collect it all in 1 place is all I'm trying to say.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Right!!! 1 would think, they would have old articles and history nobody else has, That would be the place for it. Pipe Notes is awsome but I'm sure there are some old school guys from the IPPC that have info Mark hasn't and vice versa, I just wish there were a way to collect it all in 1 place is all I'm trying to say.
Mark interviewed a lot of those guys for his book, a must have for Peterson fans.