SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Have not heard of this pipe maker before (but then again there are so many to hear about, which is why we join these online forums I guess) but that is a gorgeously proportioned danish.

Looks to be an excellent smoker.

Reactions: Toast and Rpink53

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
A new name to me, so I can't claim to be a fan. It's a beauty though & I hope it smokes as well as it looks!

Reactions: Rpink53

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well that's an elegant design. It has flow, looks in motion. Very nice. I'm not sure I could live up to its refinement. But you can -- go for it.

Reactions: Rpink53

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Garbe's work has always had a sleek elegance of curve and form that I haven't seen duplicated in anyone else's work. If Botticelli had gotten into carving pipes they would have been like these. I was introduced to his work in the early '90's, but couldn't afford to buy any. By the time I could, I was hooked on Britwood.

I understand that Garbe has trundled off to that workshop in the sky.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I hadn't heard Ingo Garbe had died. As far as I know, he still lives and carves in Denmark, although he is German by birth. I have one of his pipes. it is extremely well made and smokes very cool with a large draft hole which would make even Rick Newcombe very happy. Although he tends to concentrate on making pipes in traditional shapes, unlike some of the other Danish giants, Marty Pulvers thinks he belongs at the pinnacle of Danish artisans and I can't disagree.