PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Title edited for caps and brevity.rule 9. Please read.

Mine is stems, namely, OEM with the original maker’s stamps, buttons, etc. No matter how attractive the stummel & how reasonable the price, if I suspect it’s got a replacement stem, I’ll pass. E.g., a Charatan without the distinctive saddle. If there was an inset button that’s now missing, I’ll pass. E.g., BBB. Finally, even if the stem is OEM, if it’s clear that someone got too aggressive with the sanding & polishing so the maker’s stamp is too effaced to take fresh paint, I’ll pass. E.g. Barling. If I know it’s the original stem with a button or deep enough stamp, I’ll accept all kinds of chatter & even bite breaks - that’s what softies are for. So that’s my pipe OCD, & if I’m wrong, I don’t wanna be right. 🥸

Added caveat: I suppose I’ve inevitably made exceptions for vintage Danish freehands, since it was always hit or miss if they used maker’s stamps on their stems & without one I certainly can’t eyeball if it’s OEM or not. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Title edited for caps and brevity.rule 9. Please read.

Mine is stems, namely, OEM with the original maker’s stamps, buttons, etc. No matter how attractive the stummel & how reasonable the price, if I suspect it’s got a replacement stem, I’ll pass. E.g., a Charatan without the distinctive saddle. If there was an inset button that’s now missing, I’ll pass. E.g., BBB. Finally, even if the stem is OEM, if it’s clear that someone got too aggressive with the sanding & polishing so the maker’s stamp is too effaced to take fresh paint, I’ll pass. E.g. Barling. If I know it’s the original stem with a button or deep enough stamp, I’ll accept all kinds of chatter & even bite breaks - that’s what softies are for. So that’s my pipe OCD, & if I’m wrong, I don’t wanna be right. 🥸

Added caveat: I suppose I’ve inevitably made exceptions for vintage Danish freehands, since it was always hit or miss if they used maker’s stamps on their stems & without one I certainly can’t eyeball if it’s OEM or not. 🤷‍♂️
Regarding Charatans, if the saddle you're referring to is the DC (double comfort) stem, I hope you're aware that they did not use that style on every pipe.

Reactions: Merton and jafo1989

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Regarding Charatans, if the saddle you're referring to is the DC (double comfort) stem, I hope you're aware that they did not use that style on every pipe.

I don't buy used "estate" pipes. People polishing pipes with spit and nose grease, et cetera. What's next? Earwax as a vulcanite polish? No thanks. Besides, I don't mind breaking in new pipes at all.
No judgments here. I started the same way. But like I saw in a forum somewhere, “OK, but Preben Holm won’t be carving anything new anytime soon.” The clincher became just how enjoyable a good clean-up job is - almost as relaxing as smoking it.

Reactions: woodsroad

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
True. But even then the CP monogram was pretty consistent I think. So if I don’t see the expected stem & there’s no sign of the stamp … OCD. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Too many to list. I'm very organized (too organized) in general. With my collecting and hobbies, it's next level.
One of the biggest things for me is only smoking specific blend types in particular pipes.
Logging my cellar to my spread sheet is another thing I'm very specific about.
Again, too many to list. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
After smoking, 3 Long's regular cleaners (bundle not bag) must pass slightly into the chamber and out again 3 times, regardless of moisture/ressidue.

Reactions: jafo1989

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Chasing Embers : Same here just I have a lot more boxes of crap to contend with - my own fault for acquiring so many pipes of the same style over so many years! Here is my bottom drawer in my office and the box underneath my desk, then I have two shelves in glass cabinet, 5 hat boxes, another drawer and then two more boxes in a wardrobe. I have not purchased a single pipe in at least a year and a half! The meetings at PAD Anonymous have helped a lot. rotf

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg