PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Yes. I have a specific spot for each tobacco pipe in its specific holder. Each spot correlates to a specific tobacco purpose. As I aquire more pipes I dedicate entire holders to that one type.
Uh oh, I could see myself doing that. “This is the English rack, this is the Italian rack….” Or “this is the Dublin rack, this is the bulldog rack….” 🤦‍♂️

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Title edited for caps and brevity.rule 9. Please read.

Mine is stems, namely, OEM with the original maker’s stamps, buttons, etc. No matter how attractive the stummel & how reasonable the price, if I suspect it’s got a replacement stem, I’ll pass. E.g., a Charatan without the distinctive saddle. If there was an inset button that’s now missing, I’ll pass. E.g., BBB. Finally, even if the stem is OEM, if it’s clear that someone got too aggressive with the sanding & polishing so the maker’s stamp is too effaced to take fresh paint, I’ll pass. E.g. Barling. If I know it’s the original stem with a button or deep enough stamp, I’ll accept all kinds of chatter & even bite breaks - that’s what softies are for. So that’s my pipe OCD, & if I’m wrong, I don’t wanna be right. 🥸

Added caveat: I suppose I’ve inevitably made exceptions for vintage Danish freehands, since it was always hit or miss if they used maker’s stamps on their stems & without one I certainly can’t eyeball if it’s OEM or not. 🤷‍♂️
I’m a stem nut also. I can’t stand vulcanite and almost all my 37 pipes have acrylic stems. The absolute best are perspex stems on the old GBDs.

Reactions: jafo1989

dingdong

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I tend to try to blend different tobaccos, hoping to get even better taste, and most of the time, :rolleyes: puffypuffypuffy
As for pipes, compulsive tendency to seek older, vague, obscure brands.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I would say no, I keep them like this, moderately tidy and I dust them only when I smoke them.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_135757.jpg
    IMG_20240406_135757.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8