Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Would anyone here mind offering their opinion on this bend?
I'm picking up several Burley blends, thanks to the advice given on the forum. One I'm including at is Redburn - looking to decide whether to just get a couple of trial 2oz tins or just go with an 8oz. If it's a truly tasty blend, it likely worth stocking up.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Stick with the 2oz to try. It’s a crumble cake that breaks down into a fine shag, which may be good or bad depending on your preference. While I would hesitate to call it an aromatic, the topping is quite obvious, so be ready for that. It’s also, IMO, a pretty stout blend that can be just a bit harsh. If you like other C&D burleys, you’ll probably like it

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I like it and I'm not a big rum or aromatic (to any extent) fan.

Like Krizzose said stick to 2oz..

There's an article on it on the site

Reactions: Leomania

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I had one tin of Redburn about 4-5 years ago. It was smoked about 5 months after the tin date. The only notes I made were that it was “ok”.

FWIW that means I probably wouldn’t buy more but that there wasn’t anything offensive about it. I recall it was slightly rough around the edges, but many enjoy that quality.

Get a single tin and go from there.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I never buy large quantities of any blend without smoking some from a small tin or bulk ounce first. I definitely agree with the others that it's a good idea to get a 2oz before committing to the 1lb block.
Redburn is one I've been looking forward to trying as well along with Night Train and Briar Fox. All of these blends are offered in 1lb blocks. I wish C&D would offer a wider variety of their crumble cakes in pound units.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I bought a tin of it at a B&M once before I left a pipe meet up. I enjoyed it. It wasn’t an island blend, but it was flavorful and delicious. The flavoring was noticeable most of the smoke, but the Burleys held their own and came through nicely in the profile.

I would suggest getting two 2oz tins to start and if you enjoy it enough after the first tin then order a pound.

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I expected to really like this blend, given that I enjoy both aromatic and non-aromatic tobaccos, but this one came across as unbalanced to me. I opened a 2 oz. tin about a year ago and I dip into it from time to time, but I don't really enjoy smoking it. I keep hoping that time will make a difference, but so far it hasn't. I think my issue is that the molasses is just too pronounced for me (odd, given that I generally like that flavor).

But everyone has different preferences, and your mileage may definitely vary.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I like it. It is not fancy and it is a bit rough around the edges. It has some nic to it as well. As others have recommended, get a small amount to try first.